Chapter 56

My heart punched at my throat as I heard the screams of the poor man in pain, roaring across the hallway. Ben swallowed hard, looking at Luciano and then at me, hoping for some answers.

"What's happening?" He asked, confused.

When we went downstairs, I learned it was a wolf, and the screams were familiar—they just belonged to another person. The man was on his all fours, blood pouring out of his mouth and onto the stairs, just at the entrance of the castle.

His hollowed pair of eyes rose and snapped at me. He screamed again with agony and anger before falling flat on the ground.

Ben wrapped his arm around the man and forced him to breathe. "Jackson was taken by Gretel a few days back, he managed to escape but we don't know what this is." he said.

Luciano stared down at him, his eyes wide with the unknown. He jerked his stare at Jacqueline. "Is it magic?" He asked her.

"Not that I know off." She shook her head.

I swallowed hard, and slowly stepped back to merge in with the crowd. Whatever was in the man was going to erupt and when it did, people around him were going to get affected as well.

"Luciano." I took his hand and dragged him along with me so I could tell him the truth.

The crowd was large, circled around the man, thick fear in the air as none of them uttered a single word.

"What is it, Red?"

"We need to move. Gretel has a way to do magic and this is the way. She stores spells inside another being and then waits for the right minute. Once all the spells blow, the person dies. It's her way of doing magic," I said, staring back at his eyes. "You need to make everyone move or the magic will affect them."

Blood of the wolf flooded down on the ground, touching my feet as well. Luciano gave me a light push, telling me to stay away before he got the crowd completely cleared out.

It happened quick, as his men and his servants listened to him.

Once cleared, we stood a few inches away from the man and just watched him take his last breaths. Every breath counted and with every breath, he further fell on the ground and his screams bounced through the castle. They soon started to switch into growls as he tried to shift to run away from the pain.

The terror broke through, relieving him of his pain as the Gretel's magic snatched away his life, ending him. His limbs dislocated and blood spread across the high walls as his suffering ended.

I turned around, closing my eyes and holding Luciano tight. My stomach clenched tight and tears brimmed at the corner of my eyes.

This was horrifying.

"It's over." Luciano whispered, caressing my back as he turned around and took me with him.

Ben followed us and the servants returned to the entrance, covering up the rest of his body and cleaning up the blood. It wasn't the first time I had seen something like this happen. Gretel always loved playing with magic.

We returned to the office, traumatized. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Luciano asked, stepping forward, hand grasping my elbow.

"I didn't know. I'm sorry. I thought Gretel didn't use this kind of magic—she told me she stopped." I mumbled, my throat tight.

When Gretel and I got along, I learned why she became the Queen, and it was not because her family came from a strong line of witches but because she knew the dark magic, the forbidden one, the one that was only practiced by a few witches in the past thousand years.

It was known as the Blood Magic and it was only done with the help of certain demons.

"It's okay. I shouldn't yell at you." Luciano pressed his lips against my forehead and murmured before moving aside and whipping his attention to Ben. "How does Gretel has any of my men?" He growled.

"She's has been taking our men, especially those wolves that had been traveling around. But, it's not a mass number yet." Ben replied, his words telling different.

Gretel was ought on getting revenge and she wasn't going to stop. If one way was destructed, she was going to find another one and then another one, until she killed Luciano and wiped werewolves away from earth.

"I need names. Bring me all the names of the wolves she has. And, where is she keeping them?" Luciano asked.

"We don't know. Jackson was found when we were patrolling the town. He was injured and we bought him here." He explained. Ben was usually at the borders, it was where I found him when I tried coming here.

"Keep distance next time. These wolves are time-ticking bombs," Luciano warned him as it was the right thing.

If Jackson blew in front of everyone, we would all get affected and Gretel's magic could kill us as well.

"I will." He nodded.

"Good."

During dinner, Luciano wasn't around and I was left alone with Jacqueline and a few other elders, including Vincent. We spoke about nothing, just stayed silent after the death at the castle.

I played with my food before giving. "I'm going to go." I whispered to Jacqueline as I excused myself from the table. I wasn't hungry, my appetite vanished away when I saw the crimson blood of that poor man.

How many more innocent men and women were going to be killed before this was going to be settled down?

Jaqueline gave me a light pat over my hand and said, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

The bedroom called for me and I went in straight there than lurking around and looking for Luciano. The day started off painful and it ended the same way. But, there was something that bought all the happiness I needed.

My daughter.

I didn't know when to expect her but I had everything ready.

The sound of shower pulled me out of my thoughts and I walked inside my room, realizing that Luciano had been in a shower all along. The moonlight from the window slithered over my skin as I removed my clothes, baring myself.

I tilted my head, listening to the water hitting the floor before I decided to go in.

Since Wattpad is deleting books, don't forget to follow me on Facebook (authormiakerr) where I'll be posting if deleted. It's also up on inkitt (Mia Kerr or search any of my books)

Read the full book on patreon quicker www.patreon.com/miakerr