𝟑.𝟙.𝟣

"we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable

"we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. we can never have enough of nature." ~ Henry David Thoreau

~july 1973~

Before she knew it, Artemis was back at her aunt and uncle's house for the summer. The big, old mansion felt colder than usual even in the hot July weather and Artemis's dad's old sweaters were looking more worn than ever. She spent most of her first weeks of summer sitting up in her dusty room with her books, trying hard to pass the time away before going back to school. The rest of her time was spent actively avoiding any interaction with her family, but nightly dinners were inescapable.

"Could you please pass the carrots?" Artemis asked- the first words she'd said all through dinner.

Her Uncle Gregory looked up like he was just noticing she was there. "Could you get them yourself?"

"They're on the other side-" Artemis started to protest, but gave up. "Yeah, I'll get them."

Uncle Gregory let out a derisive snort. "There's that Gryffindor spirit, huh?" he said sarcastically. "You know, I'm always getting told that Gryffindor is the house of fire and courage, but every one I've met can't hold their own in a fight for two seconds."

"Says the house that's known for being cruel and selfish," Artemis muttered.

"What was that?" Aunt Isobel asked shrilly. Artemis didn't answer. "I said; what was that?"

Artemis's little cousin, Gregory, set his fork down and gave Artemis a superior look. "She called you selfish and cruel."

"What-" Artemis started defensively. "I did not!"

It was too late. Uncle Gregory was riled up. "How dare you-" he said in a low, threatening voice, "-how dare you say that to the person who has fed, clothed, and housed you for the last two summers."

"I didn't mean it, Uncle Gregory." Artemis couldn't help her voice coming off as apathetic. She was so tired of the constant berating from her family that these dinner conversations were practically routine.

Her exhaustion seemed to only agitate Uncle Gregory more. "Oh, didn't you?" He stood up, his chair scraping loudly on the floor.

Artemis resisted the urge to flinch at the noise. Instead, she squared her shoulders and drew in a deep breath, staring at her uncle with steely insolence. She didn't say anything, but the look on her face was sharp and withering, expressing her feelings where words couldn't.

Uncle Gregory didn't stand down. He took a step closer to her from the other side of the table. "I'm going to ask you one more time, mudblood." A flicker of anger like a flame flashed through Artemis's eyes at the word before she managed to contain herself. "Do you really think I'm cruel and selfish?"