𝟑.𝟠.𝟤

"take advantage of it now, while you are young, and suffer all you can, because these things don't last your whole life

"take advantage of it now, while you are young, and suffer all you can, because these things don't last your whole life." ~ Gabriel García Márquez

~february 1974~ (continued) 

"No, I want those flowers there!" Narcissa snapped at a house elf decorating the Malfoy Manor for Valentine's Day. "And I need more around the table."

"But Ma'am-" the house elf said timidly, "-we don't have anymore flowers. These are the last of them."

Narcissa's nostrils flared. "Well then find more! That's not my problem. Lucius will be home in twenty minutes and everything's still a mess. Get this under control."

"Yes, Ma'am." The house elf scurried off and Narcissa turned to the wide mirror in the entrance hall to double check her appearance. Her navy blue dress fell all the way to the floor and her hair was styled the way she used to in school- wide curls that cascaded down her back elegantly. She scrutinized herself for another moment, and then went to finish up the final preparations for her surprise Valentine's dinner for Lucius.

Twenty minutes later on the dot, the preparations were set and Narcissa headed to the entrance hall once again just as the door opened and her husband stepped through, looking tired and sour. "Lucius!" she cried, throwing herself into his arms.

"What're you all done up for?" he asked affectionately, kissing her cheek and handing his cloak and bag off to a house elf.

Narcissa could hardly contain her excitement. "Here, follow me," she said, and took his hand to lead him back into the dining room. The table was set with heart shaped napkins and pink dinnerware, and the room was overflowing with red and pink flowers. "Surprise!" Naricssa said sweetly, gesturing to the room. "I worked all day on it."

"What is it?" Lucius asked, his smile dimming slightly.

"It's a Valentine's feast! Like they used to have at Hogwarts, remember?"

Any semblance of a smile on Lucius's face faded. "Yes, I remember," he said drily.

"What's wrong?" Narcissa asked, her lips forming an elegant pout.

Lucius shrugged. "I just don't like Valentine's day much. Pointless reason to celebrate."

"But it's the celebration of love," Narcissa said, trying once more to get him excited. "Come on, don't you want to celebrate that?"

Lucius shrugged once again. "I mean... I suppose so."

"You suppose so?" Narcissa echoed, her voice rising. "Do you have any idea how long it took me to get this together?"

"Well, you told me all day, so..."

"Why can't you do something for me for once?" Narcissa cried, her voice cracking. "You leave all day and I have nothing to do, you always say no when I want to have people over, and now you can't even let me make a Valentine's dinner." She sniffled and swiped at her eyes. "And why can't I be a part of whatever it is you're working on? I just don't want to be so bored all the time." And with that, she stamped her foot on the ground and then stormed upstairs to her large bedroom.