𝟑.𝟠.𝟣

"it is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not

"it is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not." ~ Andre Gide

~february 1974~

The Great Hall was more crowded than usual the afternoon before Valentine's Day with students studying and hanging out, all scattered between the long tables spread out across the room. Sirius sat at the corner of the Gryffindor table with Frank and Peter, watching out of the corner of his eye as Artemis and Jonas worked together on homework a little ways down. Jonas muttered something in Artemis's ear and she laughed, her whole face lighting up. She scribbled something on his paper and then took his hand gently, barely noticeable. He smiled down at their intertwined hands and leaned into Artemis's shoulder ever so slightly.

"What're you looking at- oh," Frank said, following Sirius's gaze. "You jealous or something?"

Sirius pulled a face. "Absolutely not. You couldn't pay me to date Art."

"Sure, mate, sure."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Frank immediately feigned innocence. "Nothing. Nothing at all."

"Whatever," muttered Sirius. "I wouldn't mind a date for Valentine's day, though. Not Art," he clarified quickly. "But someone."

Frank nodded understandably. "I'm going through the same thing. Real dry spell right now."

Sirius snorted. "Like you got so many girls before."

"You'd be surprised."

"With that hair? No way." Frank laughed and elbowed Sirius in the ribs. He was strong from all the quidditch practices and Sirius keeled over, clutching his side. "Jesus, Longbottom, you trying to kill me?"

Peter grinned over the table at them. "You two really want dates for Valentine's Day? You can't even handle yourselves."

Sirius kicked Peter under the table. "Shut up, Peter."

Peter shrugged. "Well, if you really want dates, I can set you up."

Frank and Sirius stared at him in disbelief. "You?" Frank said, trying not to sound too incredulous.

Sirius didn't even try. He scoffed and raised his eyebrows at Peter. "No way, man. If anyone's going to get me a date, it would be... me. Yeah, no, I would be the best."

"Then why haven't you?" Peter asked. Sirius rolled his eyes. "Look, give me an hour," said Peter, standing up and throwing his bag over one shoulder. "I'll be back in an hour, and I swear you two will both have dates for Valentine's."

Sirius and Frank stared at him, and then looked at each other. Frank shrugged. "Whatever you want, then. Work your magic, Pettigrew."

Peter nodded like he was taking an order and then scurried off, leaving Frank and Sirius in absolute bewilderment. "Think he'll do it?" Frank asked, looking at Sirius hopefully.