𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝟗𝟖𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝟗𝟖𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

It was nearly midnight when a small faction of the Order gathered in Sirius and Artemis's living room. Aside from their usual friend group- the Marauders, Lily, Marlene, and Mary- the scattered couches and chairs were occupied by Mad Eye, Dorcas Meadowes, Emmeline Vance, and Kingsley Shacklebolt. Sirius and Artemis stood by the fireplace, talking in low voices. Moody crossed the room to stand with them, too wired to sit still.

"So, you called a last minute meeting, what's going on?"

"Regulus stopped by," said Sirius. "Thought we could give you lot an update."

Moody's eyes widened. "You had a known Death Eater in your house?"

"My brother, Mad Eye," said Sirius. "But yeah."

"Alright," said Moody. "Attention, everyone!"

All eyes in the room turned towards the front. James had his head on Lily's shoulder, half asleep. He was still in his pajamas. Lily, who'd been on patrol with Marlene, was wide awake. "What's going on?" she asked, looking straight at Artemis.

"We've had contact with a Death Eater," said Moody.

The room seemed to fall even more silent, if that was possible. Sirius stepped forward, and Artemis noticed a slight tremor in his hands. "My brother, Regulus, stopped by. He left a few hours ago."

James sat bolt upright. "Reg was here?"

"How'd he find this place?" asked Remus.

"We don't know," said Artemis. "But he gave us some information."

While Sirius recounted everything Regulus had said about numbers and power, Artemis sank into a seat by Remus. She was exhausted. He put an arm around her shoulders and leaned in to whisper in her ear. "You okay? You look really pale."

"Regulus only came to say goodbye," she whispered back. "Apparently for good."

"What?"

She shifted so her cheek was resting on Remus's shoulder. "I dunno, I really don't. But the last thing he said to me, Rem- He said he loved me. Like, for real."

"I mean, I know he had a crush on you back in school-"

"No, but it's not just that," Artemis whispered. "He said he was in love with me. Forever. And always will be. Remus, he was my friend- how was I supposed to respond to that?"

Remus took a deep breath. "How did you respond?"

"I didn't."

He nodded. "That's probably... for the best. Art, this is a kid who's never been shown real love in his life. You were kind to him back when you were friends. Even if things got a little fucked up sometimes, you were kind to him. He probably just... can't tell apart platonic and romantic feelings."