𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

𝟏,𝟐𝟏𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝟏,𝟐𝟏𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

Although Narcissa, would rather stay on the outer edges of the crowd circling the abandoned field somewhere in Surry, Bellatrix wouldn't let her. She kept grabbing her sister's hand, pulling her back towards the main group. "If we don't act like part of them, they won't make us part of them," she said impatiently, dragging Narcissa further. She went along with it, scouring the masked faces for anyone resembling her husband.

"In position!" someone roared, and a circle was formed around the field. Narcissa stood uncomfortably between Bellatrix and a masked figure she didn't recognize. There was a swoosh, and a hooded man appeared in the center of the circle. He was tall and lean, and when Narcissa caught a glimpse of his face, she gasped. He was deathly pale, with red markings where dark shadows would normally form on a person's face. His eyes were piercing. He didn't seem to blink.

"Friends!" he said in a raspy voice that seemed to carry over the deadened field. "This will be our last meeting in this hallowed ground! Rejoice!"

Cheers rang up from the Death Eaters, then died just as quickly at one wave of the Dark Lord's hand. "We are gaining power quickly. You see what happens when you pledge your allegiance to me? We rise! We rise higher and higher!" More cheers. "We have a few... newcomers... in our numbers today." He cast his gaze on Bellatrix and Narcissa, and Bellatrix let out a soft sound of excitement. Narcissa balled her hand into a fist, trying to slow her heart rate. For some reason, she felt like this man- this dark lord- could smell her fear.

"Bellatrix Lestrange, and Narcissa Malfoy... step forward!"

They did. Narcissa refused to look around the circle. Bellatrix fell to her knees and pulled Narcissa with her. "My lord," she said reverently, "We ask to be given our marks. We pledge our allegiance to you- and you only!"

There was sick desperation in her voice. She seemed on the verge of either tears or collapse. Narcissa nodded in agreement, too frightened to speak. The dark lord chuckled softly. "I can see that. Rise!" They got to her feet. "Show me your left arm." Narcissa slowly rolled up the sleeve of her robes to show the snow white skin beneath. "You have both proven ruthlessness, talent, and- of course... blood status. You have proven your worth time and time again as valuable members of our cause, and for that... you must be rewarded."

Bellatrix's breath shook with excitement. "Thank you, my lord."

"Yes, thank you," said Narcissa.

"Look me in my eyes!" They did. Narcissa shivered. The Dark Lord held up his wand. Bellatrix held her arm out eagerly, wishing to go first, but the Dark Lord took hold of Narcissa's instead. His hands were ice cold. She couldn't look as he waved his wand over her skin, slowly branding the Dark Mark into it. There was no going back now. He did the same to Bellatrix, who stared down at the branding with sickening satisfaction.