𝟕.𝟟.𝟣

"my love had grown one with my soul; it became darker, but did not go out

"my love had grown one with my soul; it became darker, but did not go out." ~ Mikhail Lermontov

~january 1977~

Hogwarts was where Mary usually felt safest. It was her home, the place she could be most comfortable. But after winter holiday, there was some seismic shift in Gryffindor tower. Too much had changed in such a short time. She couldn't handle it. There was the Order, which she'd been thinking about nonstop ever since James's dramatic re-telling of their meeting with Dumbledore back in the Potter's living room. And then, there was Peter.

She'd slept with Peter.

She couldn't believe herself. Her best friend since she was eleven years old, and after one glass of wine she'd somehow come to the conclusion that she wanted to sleep with him. She loved him, yes, but after that night, things were different. They hadn't spoken since, not really. Peter was bad with confrontation, and Mary was the person he usually went to to sort out his emotions, but it felt like she wasn't much of an option anymore.

Mary had hardly gotten a word out to anyone since New Year's Eve. The rest of break had been a whirlwind of snowball fights at the Potters, going back to her parents' house, and making sure Marlene was doing alright with her breakup. To deal with her conflicting feelings about Peter, Mary did what she always did when she was having a hard time. She closed off into herself.

Nobody could figure out what was the matter with her. No matter how many times Lily asked if she was alright, or Artemis took her on long walks around the grounds to try and coax more than a one word answer out of her, or Marlene point blank asked what the hell was wrong with her, she couldn't get the words out. She needed to figure it out for herself before she confided in her friends.

Peter, on the other hand, was itching to tell someone. He knew he needed to be strategic about it, but his feelings were bursting from every seam of his mind, and he knew he couldn't keep quiet for long. He'd loved Mary for so long, and now she wouldn't talk to him. She wouldn't even look at him. He needed answers, he needed to know what was going on before his confusion got too overwhelming.

He knew he shouldn't, but he went to James.

~

James bounded down the stairs of the boys' dormitory and landed catlike on the floor of the common room. He was bouncing on the balls of his feet, his expression more readable than a children's book. He strode over to the table where Lily was studying and sat down, trying to keep his movements smooth but too excited to not fidget.

"Evans."

She didn't look up. "Potter."

"I have something I shouldn't tell you, but I want to."

She raised her eyebrows, but kept her eyes firmly trained on the textbook in front of her. "Oh?"

James reached out and swiped the textbook out from under her, stowing it on his lap and bouncing his legs in anticipation. She finally looked up, narrowing her eyes in an accusatory glare. "What the hell was that for?"