𝟒.𝟛.𝟣

"I assure you that the world is not so amusing as something we imagined

"I assure you that the world is not so amusing as something we imagined." ~ Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

~september 1974~

Platform nine and three quarters was packed with witches and wizards on September first, the Hogwarts Express gleaming red in the background and billowing smoke. Harry found himself standing in the middle of the memory with no real action in sight. He scanned the platform for familiar faces, either Artemis or his parents or Sirius or Remus- anyone to show him why the memory had switched to this particular moment. Then, he caught sight of her. Artemis was standing a few feet away with her aunt, uncle, and cousin, her eyes scanning the commotion with shifty unease. She'd lost so much weight in the last few weeks that her cheeks were hollow and her skin was so pale it was almost gray. Harry took a step closer to them. He wondered if Uncle Gregory had let Art out of her room at all since the disastrous dinner party- even to feed her. She had a rested scowl on her face, her lips turned down and a little furrow between her brows.

Then, suddenly, the frown lifted as her eyes rested on someone further down the platform. Harry followed her gaze and spotted Marlene talking to Alice Fortescue animatedly. Artemis turned to her aunt and uncle. "Well, I'm going to go get a seat. It was great staying with you this summer, really fantastic, I loved the part when you-"

"We'll see you this Christmas," Aunt Isobel snapped. "Now go."

It was impossible not to notice the hurt on Artemis's face, but it quickly flickered away, replaced by excitement as she hurried off to join Marlene. "Funny seeing you here" she said, hardly able to contain her joy as she sidled over to her friend.

"Oh my god!" Marlene shrieked, and threw her arms around Artemis, hugging her tightly. "Oh my god, I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too!"

"Damn, you got hot over the summer," Marlene said with a low whistle, surveying Artemis's short plaid skirt and black blazer.

Artemis threw her head back laughing. "Marly, it's only been two months. Face it, I've been hot all along."

"Whatever you say, love. Look, there's Lily!"

Sure enough, Harry turned to see his mother, looking young and filled with life, half-running towards her friends. She immediately pulled Artemis into her arms. "Oh, I've been so worried since you stopped writing! Marlene and I were ready to come and find you ourselves- we even wrote to Remus asking if he knew anything but he didn't and- Jesus, Art, what- have they been starving you?"

Artemis's smile dimmed ever so slightly. "Not far from it," she said darkly. "Hey, Mary!"

Mary had joined the group and was hugging Marlene tightly. "Hi Art!" she said, letting go of Marlene and pulling Artemis into her arms. She hugged Lily next and then stood back, facing the girls. "What were you saying about starving?"