𝟒.𝟝.𝟣

"there are years that ask questions and years that answer

"there are years that ask questions and years that answer." ~ Zora Neale Hurston

~november 1974~

"Don't forget those essays on hex-deflections for Monday!" Professor Bones called out to the class as the bell rang and everyone dashed for the door. "And don't forget to go outside this weekend- the weather's wonderful!"

Artemis allowed her friends to go ahead of her and stopped at Professor Bones's desk on her way out. "So, I sort of read ahead in the book, and I was wondering if we're going to learn all of the counter-jinxes mentioned in the next chapter. Because a few of them seem sort of repetitive, you know?"

"Well," Professor Bones said with a comical grin, "-I think a few counter jinxes could do you good with the things I've been hearing."

Artemis raised her eyebrows and sat down on a desk at the front of the room. "What kinds of things have you been hearing?"

"You've made quite the reputation for yourself this year with punching that kid and everything. Some have been calling you a bit of a badass- if you'll excuse my language."

Artemis laughed and ran her fingers through her hair. "Well, maybe some have been saying that. Others absolutely hate me."

Bones shrugged and shuffled a few papers on his desk. "You were standing up for your friend, weren't you?"

He gave her an apologetic smile when Artemis's head shot up and she stared at him, wide-eyed. "Teachers know more than you think, Blake. Believe me, we've all heard about Remus." He settled himself back in his seat when Artemis continued to stare at him in apprehension. Bones sighed. "Look, I'm here for Remus if he needs anything. I know people around here aren't the most... open minded sometimes."

"That's an understatement," Artemis muttered.

"I know it is," Bones said softly. "But listen, I think you did right in defending your friend. And while I can't openly condone punching another student, I am the Defense teacher, so I know more than anybody that sometimes drastic measures must be taken.

The smile slowly returned to Artemis's face and she pushed her hair out of her eyes, her head held high again. She slid off the desk. "Believe me, drastic measures were necessary. Anyways, it's the weekend so I'm going to go... get outside... just like you said."

Bones raised his eyebrows at her. "Well, you have fun with that." Then, as Artemis slipped out the door, he called out to her, "-And don't get into too much trouble!"

~

Evening sunlight poured through the window of the girls' dormitory, soaking Lily's red hair in golden hues. She was lying on her stomach in the middle of the floor, a copy of Witch Weekly open in front of her and a cigarette nestled neatly between her index and middle fingers. On the bed above her, Marlene was reading a muggle music magazine, staring at a picture of Patti Smith, an up and coming American singer. She had one hand waving lazily as fluorescent pink polish dried on her nails. "This girl's gonna make it big," she said, showing Lily the photo.