𝟕.𝟝.𝟤

"do not be too moral

"do not be too moral. you may cheat yourself out of much life so. aim above morality. be not simply good, be good for something." ~ Henry David Thoreau

~november 1976~ (continued)

It didn't take long to realize where McGonagall was taking them. James looked over his shoulder at Sirius and Artemis and mouthed, Dumbledore. He slowed his pace to walk alongside them. "Do we run?" he whispered.

"Think we're getting detention or something?" asked Sirius.

Artemis frowned. "For what? We just offered to save her brother."

"People handle grief in different ways, Art," James said sagely.

She kicked his leg before mounting the staircase to the headmaster's office. "If we're running, it's got to be now."

Remus looked back and gave the three of them a threatening look. "Shut. Up," he hissed, and quickened his pace.

When they got to the office door, McGonagall knocked once and opened it, holding it for the five seventh years to step through. Dumbledore was seated at his desk, and he raised his eyebrows when when the tangled mess of disheveled teenagers tramped into his office with Professor McGonagall.

"What do we have here?" he asked, lowering his glasses to the bridge of his nose. "I haven't had any of you in my office yet this year. I have to say, it's gotten a little lonely."

"We're not in trouble," James spoke up. "At least... I don't think." He looked nervously over to McGonagall, who gave them yet another oddly knowing smile.

She stepped forward. "Professor Dumbledore, these students have just offered to leave school for a week to hunt down and save my brother's life."

"Really?" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled down at them in amusement. Artemis decided they weren't in trouble.

"Yes," McGonagall said curtly. "I believe... they are ready."

Sirius whirled around to gape at her. "What?"

"Not for that, Sirius," said McGonagall.

Dumbledore smiled kindly. "Take a seat, all of you." He waved his wand and five chairs appeared in front of his desk. "And have a lemon drop." He pushed a bowl of small yellow candies towards them. Only Peter and James took one. "I was going to wait until the end of the year, but... Minerva, if you're sure..."

"I am sure."

"Well, I trust your judgement." Dumbledore leaned forward in his seat and stared each of the Marauders and Artemis in the eye one by one, as if reading their minds.

Artemis stared right back, unflinching. "Professor, what exactly are we ready for?" she asked.

Dumbledore paused for a long time. "Well," he said at last. "There's a certain... project, you could say, in the works right now outside of Hogwarts. I realize that the five of you are interested in fighting some of the injustices the wizarding world is facing right now, but I need you all to swear that whatever I tell you in here won't leave this room. At least, not until after you've left school. Can I trust you?"