𝟕.𝟚.𝟣

"to go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's

"to go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky

~august 1976~

Artemis Olivia Blake, for the love of god, do not go back to your aunt and uncle's. I'm serious, and no, I'm not going to make a joke about that because this is a serious situation. Siriusly. Okay, I'm done. Art, don't do it. If you want information on Percy, let James and I help you with getting it. We can break into the Goyle Manor or I can rig something with my family, you don't need to willingly put yourself through pain just for a brother who didn't even look twice before stunning you in the back fourth year. He's no good and you getting involved isn't going to help him at all. Also, the "deal" you made with Gregory and Isobel? It doesn't make any sense, and I know you know that. You're smarter than me and James combined, and we both immediately saw right through it, so we know you did too. They're only having you stay with them because first of all, they're sick sadists who like to see your pain, and secondly, it's revenge on your dad. I know you don't want me to say this, but you know it's true. From what you've told me, they hated your dad more than anyone else in the world, and they're willing to do whatever they can to destroy every last memory of him. So yes, they're going to hurt you and yes, I know you think you're prepared for that, but I don't trust them not to go further and just kill you outright. I know you're a good fighter, but jesus, Art. This is a bad idea no matter how you swing it. Please, I am begging you, do not go there. I love you and James loves you and we're both willing to get involved however we can to help, but I need you to tell us how. I mean, our first thought was to run in there ourselves and basically kidnap you, but James mentioned that it might make things worse. But Art, you have to understand how bad this is. I know you understand it, and I don't know if you're doing it out of desperation or some sort of self-destruction, but it's going to end badly. I love you with everything in me, Artemis, but please for christ's sake don't be an idiot. Write me back. We're going to help no matter what. I love you.

Sirius.

Artemis tossed the letter onto her bedside table after reading it for the fourth time that day. It was the only thing that had gotten her through the last week at the Goyles. The way Sirius wrote made it sound like he was in the room with her, pacing back and forth and ranting about how worried he was about her. It made her feel a little better about everything. She hadn't written him back yet, though. She knew she should. She knew he'd worry and the longer she went without writing, the greater the danger of him interfering and throwing off the whole plan was, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. Every time she pulled out a piece of paper to write, she could see his face in her mind's eye, looking at her with that horrible look of concern he wore when she was doing something especially stupid. It made it hard to focus.

She'd asked for information on her brother every single day since her arrival, but she hadn't gotten anything out of her aunt and uncle yet. Each time she asked, they sent her off to clean or do some meaningless task that made her wonder if the whole thing was pointless. They weren't even trying to cover it up anymore. They used to hide their cruelty under a vague veil of "trying to cleanse the family name" or "caring about her best interest," but now there wasn't even that. They were evil, and they knew they were evil, and Artemis thought more and more about the part of Sirius's letter where he said he didn't trust them not to kill her outright every day.