𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝟏,𝟏𝟑𝟏 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝟏,𝟏𝟑𝟏 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

James and Sirius had walked up and down Diagon Alley at least twenty times in the last hour. They'd stopped at the Hog's Head for drinks, stopped to talk to a couple outside Ollivander's and, just as night was falling, made friends with a stray cat that eventually got bored and scampered off towards the bank.

"I'm bored," James groaned, leaning back against one of the brick walls. "I'm so fucking bored."

"I hate patrol." Sirius san his face into his hands. "I hate it, I hate it, I hate it."

James ran a hand through his hair. "I just want some action."

"I could be at home with Art right now," Sirius murmured. He felt like even though he lived with his girlfriend, it was rare that they got a night to themselves lately.

James and Sirius relaxed against the wall, letting the silence of the night settle between them. They were at the point in their friendship where they no longer needed words to know how the other was feeling. "Remember back at Hogwarts when we practiced dueling literally anywhere we got the chance?" said James. Sirius muttered something incoherent in response. "Now that we're actually in the action... I wish we were still just practicing."

"Ah, don't get all gloomy on me now, Prongs," said Sirius. "We're not even in the action, we're just waiting for it."

James nodded. "Yeah, maybe it's the waiting that's killing me."

"We've been in the Order since we left school, and they still won't put us in any real battles," Sirius grumbled. "And then Moody's all like, 'you have to wait until you're real aurors,' but that's bullshit."

"Exactly!" cried James, his energy returning. "I mean, we're facing a real war here, and he's always going on about staying vigilant and shit, but I feel like he's the one who won't take the reality of it seriously."

Sirius waved his wand lazily and a few gold sparks sprinkled the pavement. "He should feel lucky to have all of us so ready to fight."

"He doesn't even care-"

James broke off mid-sentence. Something had moved in the alley across the street. James's eyes swept up and down, searching for a stray cat or person who'd gotten a little too drunk at the bars, but he saw nothing. Wands drawn, Sirius and James stood on high-alert, not sure if they were being too paranoid or not. "Who's there?" Sirius said at last.

Before they had time to react, a jet of red light flew towards the two of them and hit the wall squarely between them. They both dove out of the way at the last second. "Shit," James muttered. "Impedimenta!"

His spell disappeared into the dark alley without hitting anything. Then, a cloaked figure darted out, his face covered. "Crucio!"

"Stupefy!" cried James, hoping Sirius had dodged in time.