𝐨𝐧𝐞

1,581 days

1,581 days

Malfoy Manor loomed high on a black mountain, the walls once covered by green ivy now bare and foreboding. Bellatrix stared up at it with a manic glint in her eye. She let herself in the gate and walked with purpose to the front door. She didn't need to knock, this was a family house.

The long halls of the manor smelled of dust and something ancient. Bellatrix didn't linger in any of the rooms. She went straight back to Lucius's study. She knocked on the door.

"Come in."

When she entered, Lucius was sitting at a grand looking mahogany desk, a quill in hand, his wand lingering on the desk just in reach. He didn't smile when Bellatrix sat across from him. She wouldn't make herself small. Especially not in front of the important men in the cause. She refused. So she pushed her shoulders back and sat up as straight as she could, tendrils of dark hair falling loosely from the knot on her head.

"What is it, Bella, I'm working," Lucius said shortly.

Bellatrix gave him a crooked frown and sat forward in her seat. "Don't even have time for your sister-in-law?"

At this, Lucius sighed and set down his quill. "Family matters come first, I suppose."

"Yes, they do. Although this isn't a family matter. I have a message from Rosier."

Lucius perked up. "What is it?"

"He says Roseland Field, eleven pm, Friday."

Bellatrix waited, eager for some hint as to what the news might mean. Lucius gave none. He picked up his quill again and started writing. "Yes, thank you, Bella. Is that all?"

"My wedding's in two months and you haven't accepted my invitation yet," she said shortly.

Lucius smiled a little. "I accept."

"When can I join-"

"Bella-" Lucius quieted her with one look. "Remember, even the walls have ears."

She sniffed. "They don't. Lucius, please-"

On his last nerve, Lucius set his quill down and looked up at Bellatrix. She didn't waiver. He knew she wouldn't give up. "I'll make you a deal, Lestrange."

"That's not my name yet, but go on."

"Your sister. I want her to be a part of this, but she's got... cold feet. If you can convince her to join up with you, I'll have no reservations allowing you to do so." Lucius watched Bellatrix's face carefully.

She didn't allow any emotion to cross. "Fine then," she said, standing up. "Consider it done. I'll have Cissy convinced by Friday evening, and I want to be a part of it is you're doing then."

"Close the door on your way out!"

~

Sirius took Artemis's hand and stared out at Platform nine and three quarters for the last time ever. Students swarmed about, meeting their parents and discussing what they would do in the months before the next term. He didn't have a next term. This was it. He was all alone.