𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝟕𝟏𝟔 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝟕𝟏𝟔 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

Artemis and Sirius didn't sleep that night. Instead, they sat in the living room, letting the cups of tea on the kitchen table grow colder and colder, untouched. They took opposite sides of the couch, the exact position they used to sit in in the Gryffindor common room for years and years. They didn't talk much. The quiet in the room felt like a solid, an unmovable force.

Regulus was dead, and Percy was as good as it. Orion was dead. Mr. and Mrs. Potter were dead.

"This year sucked," Sirius said at last.

Artemis sighed. "This year still has 2 more months left."

They were silent for a long time after that. Artemis was staring at the dark grate. Neither of them had felt like starting a fire that night. They were worn out. Artemis thought Sirius was doing the same until she heard a little sniffle from the other side of the couch.

He was crying. A tear rolled down his cheek and splashed onto his hand. He didn't bother to wipe it off. Artemis watched him for a second. The last time she'd seen him cry must've been... when they were fourteen.

She snapped out of it in an instant, then slid across the couch and pulled him into her arms. She cradled his head and kissed the top of his head. "Sorry," he managed, his voice breaking mid-word.

Artemis knew that nothing she could say could help. The world was crashing down around them. The space they had created for nine years together was falling apart at the seams all because of a stupid war they couldn't control. Instead of talking, Artemis started planting kisses all over his face. On his cheeks, on his forehead, his lips.

"We don't have families anymore, Art," Sirius finally managed to get out.

Artemis sat back on her heels and swiped a tear from his cheek. "Sirius, we never did," she said calmly. "We never did, and we've always managed. We know who our real family is. That won't change."

Sirius cleared his throat and sat up a little straighter. "Yeah," he said softly. "Yeah, that won't change."

Something in Sirius's pocket buzzed. "Shit," he muttered, and pulled out the little circular messenger device Dumbledore had given everyone to communicate between meetings. He read the dial on it, then gave Artemis a dark look. "Emergency meeting."

~

The living room of the Burrow was crowded when Artemis and Sirius got there. Most of the Order was still in their pajamas, annoyed from being woken up so late. James and Lily found Artemis and Sirius in the crowd almost immediately. "What's going on?" asked Artemis, clasping Lily's hands in hers.

"Apparently Moody found out something really bad, won't tell us what it is," said Lily. "I dunno, mate, everyone's a little freaked out."

"Well, you won't believe what happened to us tonight," said Artemis.