𝐬𝐢𝐱

𝟏,𝟐𝟏𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

The Death Eaters sat around Lucius Malfoy's dining room table, listening to the Dark Lord rattle on and on about his power and "The Great Movement." Percy Goyle sat next to Regulus Black, one finger tapping relentlessly on the table. Regulus wished he could put a hand out to still him, but he wouldn't risk moving. If he moved, the others might notice him, and it was his life goal to not be noticed. Especially by the Death Eaters. 

"Now..." the Dark Lord said at last, "I can see I've kept you sitting too long!" Percy's head jerked up and his hand fell to a still heap on the table. "Go on, eat, drink, celebrate! We're winning! Our power only grows stronger!" 

Cheers erupted from the table, but Regulus noticed Percy was the only person other than himself who didn't sound genuine. Chairs scraped against the floor as they stood up. Regulus followed Percy to the window. "Do you ever think..." he said, then stopped himself. He couldn't say what he really meant. It was too risky. 

But upon one look at Regulus's face, Percy understood. "I know," he said hoarsely. "I know." 

"You're... Blake's brother?" He looked around quickly to make sure nobody had heard him speak of a half-blood. 

Percy winced. "That's me. But come on, we shouldn't talk like this. Not here. Let's get a drink." 

"Anything to help-" but Regulus cut himself off again. Deciding to just stop speaking, he nodded astutely and followed Percy into the kitchen.

~

Marlene was out when James and Lily apparated back to Lily's apartment. "Think her Star Wars tactic really worked?" asked James, pouring them each a glass of water and sitting at the new kitchen table. 

"Trust me, Marly doesn't need Star Wars facts to flirt," said Lily. She sat with him, still fuming from the wedding. "She's the worst person I think I've ever met." 

"I'm guessing we're not talking about Marlene anymore." James sat back in his seat and undid his tie." 

She sighed and kicked off her heels. "What a fucking prick, I mean- I went to her wedding. That's more affection than she's shown me in years, and she decides to just.... whatever- I'm over it." 

"Doesn't sound like you're over it," James said lightly. "Look, she doesn't deserve to have you as a sister, and she doesn't know what she's missing out on by cutting you off." 

Lily shook her head, scowling out the window. "Flattery won't work on me right now, James, I want to- God I wish I could just punch that stupid old face-" 

"Now you sound like Sirius." 

"Shut up, James!" 

He sighed and took her hands in his. "Lily, you don't need her. You've got sisters. You've got Art, and Mary, and Marlene. Let Petunia be Petunia, I mean- do you really want to be in her life anyway? She's horrible." 

"She is horrible," muttered Lily. 

"Exactly, and if she doesn't want to be around you, let her go." James ran a hand down Lily's cheek softly. "She's not worth your time." 

Lily finally cracked a smile. "Oh, fuck you and your always-knowing-what-to-say, Potter." 

"My mother says I'm just empathetic," James said proudly. 

"Well, I'd like to have a few words with your mother about your ego." 

James chuckled. "Thanks for sticking up for me, by the way.

She stared at him blankly. "Why wouldn't I? I love you more than she's ever loved anyone in her entire life." James took a deep breath and got to his feet. "What're you doing?" 

"Listen, I was going to wait, okay?" he said lightly, motioning for her to stay seated. "But Lily Evans, I love you more than I ever expected to love anyone. I've loved you since we were eleven years old. I loved you when you hated my guts, I loved you every time you yelled at me, and I only loved you more when I was trying to convince myself I was over you." 

"James... what are you doing?" 

He slipped one hand into his pocket. "You're my favorite person in the entire world. And I know it sounds like a line, but I mean it. If I was given the choice to spend the rest of my life alone with someone, I'd choose you without a question." 

"James?" 

"So there's something I need to ask you." Very slowly, James sank onto one knee. "Lily Evans, will you marry me?" 

There was a box in his hand. Inside the box was the most perfect ring Lily had ever seen. She let out a little shriek and jumped to her feet, her hands clasped over her mouth. "Oh my god, oh my god," she said in a rush. "Yes! Holy fuck, yes!" 

James got to his feet and kissed Lily like he'd never kissed anyone before. She pulled him back towards the doorway to her bedroom. "I love you," she whispered, kicking the door open lightly and leading him inside. 

He wrapped his arms around her waist and sunk his face into her shoulder. "I love you, Lils." 

short one, sorry

and no collage for this one, i'm v sick and finding images feels like a lot of work rn :(