𝟑.𝟞.𝟣

"melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night

"melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night." ~ Virginia Woolf

~december 1973~

"Are you going back to your mum's for Christmas?" Lily asked Artemis curiously, weaving strands of thread into a friendship bracelet with expert touch as she spoke.

Artemis shook her head. "No, I'm staying at my aunt and uncle's."

Alice, who had been peering over Lily's shoulder, trying to learn how to make thread bracelets, smiled at Artemis. "Oh, visiting family is always nice. We always go to my grandparent's house in Durham with all my cousins- it's really fun."

"That sound lovely, Alice," said Lily, but she was watching closely the way Artemis's expression darkened at the mere mention of her aunt and uncle. "Art, we should get together sometime over break."

Artemis frowned down at her hands. "That would be great," she said softly. "But I might be busy with... family and things."

"Well, write to me anyways."

Artemis gave her a small smile. "Yeah, I will. Thanks, Lily."

"Artemis!" Sirius called from across the room, heading over to Artemis's couch with a small parcel in his hand. "I got you a Christmas present."

Artemis looked up in surprise. "Did you really?" she asked, amusement twinkling in her eyes. "I got you something too. Wait here." She got up and disappeared up to her dormitory. When she got back downstairs, Alice and Lily had migrated over to Dorcas's table and only Sirius was left in the circle of chairs by the fire, sitting on the couch he and Artemis usually shared. Artemis sat down next to him. "Here." She handed him a small parcel and reached out for the one in Sirius's hands.

He held it up out of her reach. "Ah- wait," he said with a mischievous grin. "Now, before you open this, I need you to promise me something."

"What?"

"Now, this is a present that I think your aunt and uncle are going to love. I don't know much about them, but I get the feeling it's something they'll really approve of." Artemis narrowed her eyes skeptically. "So," said Sirius, "I need you to promise me you'll wear this around them every chance you get."

Artemis's eyes went wide. "Oh, now I'm worried. But-" a smile grew slowly on her lips, "-I need you to promise me the exact same thing. Because I think what I got you is something your family will absolutely love."

"Dear god," muttered Sirius. "Here, give me that." He handed his gift to Artemis and took hers. "We'll open them at the same time."

"One- two- three-" Artemis ripped open the paper and immediately burst out laughing. "Sirius!" she cried, throwing the red and gold scarf emblazoned with the Gryffindor lion in her hands at him. "You idiot!"