𝟓.𝟚.𝟤

"maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed

"maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. maybe they just need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with them." ~ Carrie Bradshaw

~august 1975~ (continued)

The Potters were regular members of an upscale country club in Surrey. When Artemis found this out, she had to sit down on the living room floor from laughing so hard. It was so fitting and at the same time so strange, it took her a few minutes to recover. Then, on the last day of summer break, Mr. and Mrs. Potter announced that they were taking James, Sirius, and Artemis to the club for the day to celebrate the end of the holiday.

Artemis dressed up without really knowing what to expect. Her family had been poor growing up, that was no secret, so she had no clue how to handle herself in wizarding high society, much less the muggle world. Mr. Potter rented a muggle car to drive them up to the club and when they got there, Artemis and Sirius stared wide-eyed at the sprawling vineyards and golf courses with the extravagant club house sitting neatly between two hills. "Mrs. Potter, you know I love you, but what is this?" Sirius asked, amusement twinkling in his eyes as a muggle family passed decked out in golf skirts and argyle sweaters, ready for a day on the green.

"Oh, I know it's silly," said Mrs. Potter, smiling as she gazed at their scenic surroundings. "But Fleamont and I came here once when we were young and we fell in love. Muggles can be so fun sometimes, I'm sure the three of you will have a good time."

"Not too good a time," Mr. Potter said, raising his eyebrows at the three kids in the backseat. It had only taken two months for James's father to find out how much trouble his son and his friends were, though the three of them could still do no wrong in the eyes of Euphemia.

They parked and got out of the car. Artemis pulled her sunglasses off and set them on top of her head to get a better look at her surroundings. It was a busy place, muggles everywhere- eating at the restaurant, strolling through the vineyards, and talking in circles with glasses of expensive wine perched in their hands. "Well, come on then," said Mrs. Potter, fixing her hair. "There's the Petersons, I've been meaning to talk to them for so long now."

Sirius, James, and Artemis trailed after Fleamont and Euphemia Potter. James kept his head up, looking bored and a little haughty, used to following his parents into rich social circles. Artemis and Sirius, on the other hand, were too curious to put on an uppity act. They gazed around everywhere, taking in all of the senses that surrounded them like they were in another world. James looked over his shoulder at them, let a small smile slip onto his face, and backtracked a little to fall into step with his friends. "I know it's sort of a lame way to spend our last day of summer, but my mum's been talking about taking you guys here for months. She loves it."

"It's not lame," Artemis murmured, craning her neck to get a better look at a group of girls her age giggling together and staring at a group of boys a few feet away getting ready to head onto the golf course.