𝟔.𝟙𝟚.𝟣

"there was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars

"there was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars." ~ Jack Kerouac

~june 1976~

It was Jeffry's last day at Hogwarts, and he spent the entirety of it with Remus. He'd already said goodbye to his Ravenclaw friends and promised to write a hundred times, but leaving Remus was different. He'd known he'd have to leave the comforts of his boyfriend's arms, his steady gaze, his witty jokes and snappy comments, but he wasn't ready. He thought he'd have an entire extra month plus the summer. He thought he'd have time to make plans for the future and to mentally prepare himself for leaving. Now, everything was moving too fast. On top of this, he'd spent the entirety of his thoughts worrying about how Remus would manage without him there to ward off bullies with cold stares or do his assignments when he disappeared mysteriously, but now he was seeing the reality of it. It wasn't Remus who would struggle without Jeffry, it was the other way around.

Remus tapped Jeffry lightly on the shoulder. "Stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

"Staring off into space like you've already left." Remus was moody that morning. He only had a matter of hours before the one person he truly felt loved him unconditionally left, and he had no idea when he'd see him again.

Jeffry managed a small smile and slipped his arm around Remus's shoulders. They were sitting in the Great Hall, waiting for Jeffry to get called to Dumbledore's office to leave. "Only if you stop acting like the world's going to explode at any second."

Remus scoffed. "First of all, the world could explode at any second. And- in a sense- my world sort of will be exploding any minute now."

"That's the nicest thing you've said to me all day." Jeffry pulled him closer and kissed the top of his head. "Write every day. We promised."

"I know," Remus murmured, turning his head to bury his face in the soft flannel of Jeffry's shirt. He wanted to savor the fresh cottony smell for as long as possible. "And I'll visit as soon as I get the chance."

"No, I'll visit you," Jeffry said resolutely. "Don't want you to overexert yourself."

Remus picked his head up to give him a joking scowl. "I'm not on my death bed, and I'll visit you if I want to."

"Have it your way, then." Jeffry couldn't keep his smile from growing at the look on Remus's face. "Hey," he gently set a large hand on Remus's cheek. "This doesn't mean it's the end. You know that. We said we'd try, and we're going to try."

He was so determined, Remus wanted to cry even more. He opened his mouth to say something back, but then there was a small noise from behind him and both boys jumped. McGonagall was standing a few feet away. She motioned for Jeffry to come with her. "It's time," she said in the most gentle voice Remus had ever heard her use.