𝟏.𝟝.𝟣

"But it was in the nearly silent times that the real strength of their bond was evident. A friend who understands everything without being told is the rarest and best kind of friend."~ William Joyce

The common room was completely empty save the Prewett twins sitting in a corner, both bent over separate pieces of parchment and only conversing occasionally about certain wordings and sentences they needed help with. A fire crackled in the fireplace, and Harry thought the chairs and couches around it were vacant until he looked closer. Remus Lupin was curled up in his usual seat, eyes squeezed shut, but it was obvious he wasn't sleeping. His little hand gripped the arm of the chair as he winced in evident pain, and then his eyes fluttered open. He seemed to stare directly into Harry's soul with those luminous brown eyes, but then Harry felt an oddly cold feeling as Artemis stepped right through his figure and sat down in her usual seat on the couch. After recovering from the feeling of a memory walking through him, Harry stepped closer to listen to the conversation.

"What's wrong?" Artemis was asking in a low voice.

Remus nodded his head, but stopped as soon as it seemed to cause him pain. "Just a migraine. When're you attacking Bellatrix?"

"In just a minute," Artemis said as softly as she could. Her mother got migraines a lot and Artemis was always careful to be quiet around her so as not to make the pain worse. "Why don't you go up to bed?"

Remus was taken aback at how quickly Artemis had gone from her usual slightly abrasive self to the gentle person telling him to get some rest. "I'm alright- thank you," he said, forcing a small smile and hoping she wouldn't worry too much. "Can't go to sleep before hearing about what happens with you and Bellatrix. I have a feeling she's going to beat you three to one." His mouth twitched into a half-smirk.

"Listen," Artemis laughed softly. "That girl's terrifying."

"I'm sure you could take her," said Remus, "but I think James and Sirius are all talk."

"About what?" Marlene interrupted; she, Lily, and Mary appearing beside Artemis's couch.

Artemis moved over to give the girls room to sit down. "Being able to duel."

Lily snorted. "James can't even make a simple sleeping draught; what makes you think he can duel?"

"Well, spell work and potions are two very different areas of magic-"

"Shut up, Remus," Marlene laughed. "Let us hate James in peace."

Lily raised her eyebrows at Marlene, and then turned back to Remus. "We were actually wondering if you wanted to study with us while they go and get themselves killed?" The rest of the girls weren't exactly happy with Artemis for choosing to go with the boys, and Artemis could feel the tension clearly.

"Sure," Remus said, sitting up and shifting his gaze between Lily and Artemis. Before he could say anything, though, James and Sirius bounded down the stairs with their wands drawn, Peter right behind them.

"Come on, Art," said James, "Peter's chickened out so it's just the three of us."

"Peter." Artemis sighed in exasperation, but not surprise, and leapt off of the couch to join the boys. "Whatever. You ready?"

"Ready," James said, grinning at her. Sirius stayed silent, giving Artemis a cool look and adjusting his tie to look deliberately messed up.

Artemis ignored him completely. "We'll be back later," she said the the rest of the group, who had settled into couches and chairs and pulled out their school books. "Come on." She drew her wand and led the way out of the common room. With an hour left before curfew, there was no need to sneak around the halls, and instead the three of them walked side by side and spoke in loud voices.