7.11.1

"suppose I were to begin by saying that I had fallen in love with a color

"suppose I were to begin by saying that I had fallen in love with a color." ~ Maggie Nelson

~may 1977~

The weather was finally turning, and for what felt like the first time in years, sunlight streamed over the grounds of Hogwarts. The Gryffindor seventh years, at last feeling like their time at Hogwarts was really coming to an end, decided to walk the grounds together one afternoon in May. Artemis strode hand-in-hand with Sirius, who hadn't been able to keep still all day. He was bouncing around, talking loudly with the other Marauders, and grinning broadly down at Artemis every few seconds.

"What're you so happy about?" she asked at last.

"Yeah, Pads," James chimed in teasingly. "What is it you're so happy about?"

Sirius elbowed James hard in the ribs and gave him a warning look. "Nothing, Art, nothing you need to worry about right now."

Artemis raised her eyebrows at Marlene, who scoffed loudly. "Definitely sounds like something I need to be worried about."

"With these two-" Remus jogged to catch up to them and put an arm around James's shoulders, "-You always need to be worried."

"Don't need to tell me twice," Artemis muttered.

A crowd gathering up ahead caught her eye, and she and Sirius quickened their steps at the same time. "Wonder what that's all about- oh." Sirius broke off as they drew closer to the crowd.

Students were circling around two fourth years, squaring off in the center like professional boxers. The seventh years joined the crowd to watch, and Sirius stood behind Artemis, elbows propped on her shoulders. The fourth years were sweating and scowling at one another. Artemis wondered why they didn't just draw their wands. She'd love to see a good duel.

Erin found them in the crowd and tugged at the sleeve of Remus's robes. "Apparently one of them kissed the other's girlfriend."

"Ahhh, legal grounds for a fight," said James, craning his neck to get a better look at the stand-off.

"The one who kissed the girl is gonna win," Remus said matter-of-factly to Erin. "He's already got the momentum."

"Oooh, but the other one looks really strong," said Erin. "And handsome... James, put me on your shoulders- I want a better look."

James and Remus exchanged a bewildered look, but James swept Erin off her feet and set her on her shoulders so she could see better.

"Hey- hey, Art," Sirius murmured in Artemis's ear. "Remember our fourth year- when you dueled Percy and won?"

"Mhmm."

"Never got the chance to tell you how badass that was."

Artemis smiled serenely and leaned back into Sirius's chest. "Oh, I know. Hey, by the way, Percy wrote to me last week."