𝟐.𝟠.𝟣

~

~

"that is the one unforgivable sin in any society. be different and be damned!" ~ Margaret Mitchell

~february 1973~

Just like every morning, the boys were waiting for the girls at the bottom of their dormitory steps on the sunny, freezing winter morning after the prank involving Bertha Jorkins's purse was pulled off. Artemis had sat with the boys in detention the night before for her uniform violations, something neither she nor Professor McGonagall were willing to relent on, but they hadn't spoken much. Artemis hadn't been speaking to anybody much since the entirety of the school started freezing her out.

That day in particular, however, felt different. Artemis was wearing her favorite sweater that went down to almost her knees and she was feeling a little better about her situation after some time laying low. She jogged down the stairs two at a time and immediately went up to Sirius. "Are you going to watch the Gryffindor's practice tonight? I was thinking of going, but-" she stopped short as Sirius stared past her like she didn't even exist and then strode off the second he saw Marlene to walk by her side down to the Great Hall. Artemis's hopeful attitude faded instantly. "-I wasn't sure if anyone would go with me," she finished her sentence lamely, her shoulders sagging.

Mary watched the entire interaction from a few feet away and she was immediately at Artemis's side. "Come on," she said quickly, linking arms with Art and starting towards the portrait hole. "I'm starving."

"I don't know what I did wrong," Artemis said, as if in a daze, letting Mary guide her out into the hallways. "I mean- genuinely, Mary, what happened? Or am I just going crazy?"

Mary didn't give Artemis a proper answer until they were finally sitting side by side at the Gryffindor table in isolated seats a few feet from a loud group of fourth year girls. At last, Mary turned to Artemis and took a deep breath. "You're not going crazy, and in the last few days I've been able to gather exactly what happened."

"What is it?" Artemis asked, leaning forward in her seat in anticipation.

Mary shifted uncomfortably. "You have to promise not to get mad."

"Just tell me," sighed Artemis impatiently.

There was a pause, and then Mary nodded slowly. "Okay... so, Marlene... well, she's not your biggest fan. And I can't really figure out why, because you two were friends last year, but for some reason, she really doesn't like you this year. So, a few days ago, she started spreading rumors around Gryffindor that you're only here because Dumbledore felt bad for you."

"Why?" Artemis asked, bewildered.

Mary shifted uncomfortably and took a deep breath. "Well, she's sort of been saying that you're... like, crazy." She looked up at Artemis as if that explained everything, but Artemis was still looking confused. "Like... she's telling people you had sort of a... psychotic break... last year and you shouldn't even be here, but your parents wrote Dumbledore and complained so now you are here, but people think you're going to lose it and, like, burn the school down whenever you get the chance. Oh- and she's also been saying that you don't even want to be here. Like, you hate this school because your dad's a muggleborn and he always resented your mum for giving you magical powers and then just running off." Mary finally finished and took a deep breath, folding her hands in her lap. "I- I dunno how much of this is true... but I-"