𝟓.𝟝.𝟤

"I shall seize fate by the throat; it shall certainly never wholly overcome me

"I shall seize fate by the throat; it shall certainly never wholly overcome me." ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

~november 1975~ (continued)

James dove in an insane effort to get the quaffle from Regulus Black, the newest chaser on the Slytherin team. It was the most intense game the Gryffindor team had ever played. With Frank as their captain now and Emmeline as a full time player, they had the upper hand, but the score was tied and the match had been going on for nearly an hour and they were all tired. "Sorry, Reg!" James called as he nearly knocked Regulus off of his broom and sped off, the quaffle tucked under his arm.

He passed to Emmeline, who passed to Frank, who dunked the quaffle neatly through the hoop. The Gryffindor stands went wild. "If Em can get the snitch now and Marlene can keep the posts for just a little longer, we can win!" Lily cried over the commotion.

Artemis watched Marlene intently. It was her first season as keeper, the spot she'd taken up after Mitch graduated. She'd wanted the position, and she was happy to give up seeker to Emmeline, but it was no secret that she couldn't compare to Mitch just yet. She'd been trained as a seeker, not a keeper. "Come on, Marly," Artemis urged under her breath as Slytherin got possession of the quaffle and Abernathy hurled it at the Gryffindor goalposts.

"And..." the announcer, Rita Skeeter, said excitedly, "Saved!"

"Yes!" Mary shouted, pumping her fist in the air. "Go Marly!"

The game only grew in intensity after that save. Every time Gryffindor thought they were ahead, it was only moments before Slytherin matched them with a goal of their own. Artemis was on the edge of her seat, watching the game with enraptured focus. She had her eyes on Emmeline, waiting for any sign she'd seen the snitch. Then, it came. "Look!" Artemis cried, grabbing Mary's sleeve and pointing. "Look, look!"

"She's found it!"

Emmeline was in a steep dive towards the snitch, arm outstretched. The crowds were in a frenzy, watching as Slytherin's seeker, Cillian Marks, a fifth year, chased after Emmeline. He showed no sign of slowing down when he reached her and aggressively threw his elbow into her face, not taking his eyes off the snitch.

Emmeline hadn't been expecting that. Marks's arm knocked her from her broom and she toppled sideways into the open air, plummeting the rest of the distance to the ground.

The stands went silent for a split second, and then erupted into the most chaotic shouts and protests fathomable. "Foul!" Artemis roared, flipping off Marks as he caught the snitch and held it up. "That was a dirty play!"

It didn't matter. The game was won, and as Emmeline managed to struggle to a seated position on the ground, the crowd stormed from the stands to either celebrate Slytherin's win or berate Madam Hooch for letting Marks get away with such a play.