𝟒.𝟡.𝟣

"laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion

"laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion." ~ Jane Austen

~march 1975~

"I think we should break up," Artemis said to Patricia after a long evening of making out in Patricia's otherwise empty dormitory.

Patricia looked up at Artemis, her eyes narrowing. "Sorry?"

"Yeah," said Artemis, more decidedly this time. She rolled out of bed and pulled a t-shirt on over her red bra. "Look, you're great, Pat. I just... I'm going through some stuff right now and I don't really have the time for a relationship right now, you know?"

Patricia's expression immediately changed from confusion to concern. Artemis felt a little pang of guilt for lying, but it only made her get dressed faster. "What's going on?" asked Patricia, moving to the edge of the bed and watching Artemis get ready to go helplessly. "Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine," Artemis said with a soft smile. "I'd just rather be friends for now. It's nothing against you. It's... it's just a me problem."

"Oh."

"Yeah..." Artemis grabbed her bag and turned to the doorway. "So... I'll see you around."

She left the room and breathed a sigh of relief. Patricia really was great. It wasn't like she'd done anything wrong, per se. Artemis just hated feeling trapped. She didn't like feeling like she belonged to someone. It made it hard to breathe. She'd had fun for a few weeks with Patricia, but as far as she was concerned, it had run its course. And she'd figured out she liked girls, she reminded herself, trying to see the positive in the situation. To be completely honest, Artemis didn't really feel anything just then. There was a little tinge of relief and maybe some guilt, but no feelings for better or worse. It had happened, and now it was over. That was just the way of things.

Artemis walked down the hall and let herself into her own dormitory. "Hey guys," she said, throwing her bag onto her bed and taking a seat next to Mary on the floor. "What're you drawing now?"

"Me," said Marlene, posing dramatically on her bed.

"Mmm, interesting," Artemis said disinterestedly. "Just broke things off with Patricia."

Lily whirled around from where she was plucking her eyebrows in front of the cracked full-length mirror. "You're joking."

"You two just started dating!" cried Marlene. "I was still processing- Art, that's like, a new record for you."

Artemis raised her eyebrows coolly. "What's that supposed to mean? And anyways, don't pretend you're any better. We all notice when you disappear to 'do homework' for hours at a time."

"Yeah, speaking of which," said Lily, "I've been meaning to ask what you've been getting up to."

"None of your business," snapped Marlene, her face reddening considerably. "Can we get back to yelling at Art?"