𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝟏,𝟐𝟎𝟎 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝟏,𝟐𝟎𝟎 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

"I used to think this was how I wanted to spend my life," Regulus said in a low voice, scanning the cafe to make sure there were no watchful eyes. "I used to think I would die for him.

Percy nodded slowly. "What was it for you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, for me, it was when he told me I had to 'disappear' my sister and the woman who raised me." He was holding his coffee cup with shaking hands, drinking it black like his mother always did. Not his mother, he reminded himself for what had to be the ten millionth time in his life. Jane. "And when I didn't, he said he was gravely disappointed in me and that I'd have a chance to redeem myself later. And I dunno when or what that'll be, but it keeps me up at night."

Regulus stared down at his tea, no longer able to drink. "For me, it was all the times my brother came to me, on the verge of tears, telling me not to do it. But it was too late, and he didn't understand that."

"None of them do," said Percy. "Not Sirius, not Art, not Jane... nobody."

"Except for us," said Regulus, and when his eyes met Percy's, he could almost muster up a small smile.

Percy took a deep breath. "Except for us. And I was thinking... maybe we can keep them safe. Maybe we can... I mean, we'll probably die if we do anything too outright-"

"I'm willing to do that," Regulus said quickly.

Percy inwardly winced. Regulus was young, still a seventh year in school, and he was already willing to sacrifice his life to fix his mistakes. "No," he said, closing his eyes and shaking his head. "I'll go first if I have to. You- you have a chance to get out. You could do it."

"I don't care about getting out anymore," said Regulus. "I care about keeping the people I love far, far out of the cross-fire."

"They're not going to be in the cross-fire," Percy murmured darkly. "They're going to be the ones shooting."

~

Months had passed. It was nineteen seventy-eight, and Lily was getting married in a year. Artemis woke up in her sun-filled bedroom, the covers all tangled around her from the night before. Sirius was nowhere in sight. When she checked the clock, she realized why. It was noon. She smiled a little to herself and rolled off of the mattress, catching herself before she fell and standing up to stretch. She pulled on a t-shirt and made her way out to the kitchen.

Sunlight streamed in the kitchen windows and Artemis stood in it for a moment, reveling in the new spring light. Coffee was already brewed on the counter, but still, no Sirius. She was just wondering if he went out to the store or to see one of their friends when she heard banging sounds from the garage. She poured herself a cup of coffee and went out.