𝟔.𝟡.𝟣

"some days I am more wolf than woman and I am still learning how to stop apologizing for my wild

"some days I am more wolf than woman and I am still learning how to stop apologizing for my wild." ~ Nikita Gill

~march 1976~

Artemis and Sirius's newly public relationship resulted in shockwaves spreading through Hogwarts- at least the way Gryffindor saw it. Most of the castle didn't seem to notice or care, but for the groups in which the two of them had formed a reputation, this was a whole new era. Once the initial shock of it all wore off their friends, who had never known Sirius or Artemis to ever have any sort of long-lasting relationship, the other Marauders, Lily, Marlene, and Mary all pooled their efforts to tease the two of them as much as possible. It was strange, seeing Sirius and Artemis so happy all of a sudden, but they'd learned not to question them.

Spring was coming and while the cold weather still lasted through March, high spirits were evident all throughout the castle. Sirius and Artemis strode down to breakfast one morning hand-in-hand, laughing to each other about an argument they'd witnessed in the common room between two third years. "That used to be us, you know," said Sirius. "I mean, we obviously fought about more important matters-"

"Oh yeah," Artemis scoffed, "more important matters like who was higher in the class, who had the best plan for sneaking out-"

"-And of course, who could get the hottest Valentine's date."

She grinned up at him. "I think I won this year."

"Oh, stop it, you'll make me blush." But he was staring down at her like she was his entire world.

They settled themselves in their usual seats at the breakfast table, just as James was recounting an impressive save he'd made during quidditch practice that morning and Marlene and Emmeline shouted him down with their own stories of how they'd had to make even more heroic attempts to save him. It was the usual chaos of the Gryffindor table. Artemis listened to the debates as she scooped scrambled eggs onto her plate and then some onto Remus's, which looked far too empty. He looked up at her in mild protest, but she ignored him and leaned over to Sirius. "Do you think it's going to lose all the excitement?"

"What?"

"Like- now that people know. Is it going to die out?"

He chewed his potatoes thoughtfully, considering the question. He'd been a little concerned about it too. "I don't... think so," he murmured back slowly. "But let's just take it slow and see."

"Yeah, good plan."

~

In Regulus's mind, he had a very clear choice. It wasn't between becoming a Death Eater and not. No, that would be too easy. He'd wanted to follow in his father's footsteps since he was a child. He'd dreamed of the days of an uprising from the Dark Lord, a man he'd never met but idolized like a god in his mind. His friends were all joining up. Lucius Malfoy and Percy Goyle had done it years back and now it was time for Rudolphus Lestrange, Netrephus Scabior, and... Regulus Black. He'd been asked to join up. He'd been asked about a million times, and he kept brushing them off. Why- he couldn't say. There was a small part of him that didn't want to grow up as fast as Lucius and Percy and his friends. He wanted to stay a drunken kid in Slytherin forever, lounging around at parties and trying to get the attention of girls.