𝟒.𝟞.𝟣

"beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful

"beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful." ~ Mary Shelley

~december 1975~

It was the day before the end of the term and Artemis and the boys were walking to the library to do some last minute research on the process to become animagi. "So- it seems like we're right on schedule," James said in a business-like tone. "We have all the information we need and Remus put together that killer timeline in his notebook so we can keep track of everything and... it seems like everything's going right."

"Right-" Artemis started to say, but then someone shoved passed her and a group of older Slytherin boys cut in front of them, taking up most of the hallway. Artemis recognized the back of Percy's head immediately and her heart sank.

The boys watched as Artemis's face fell and she was distracted by her brother laughing and fooling around with his friends ahead. James and Sirius exchanged a look, communicating with their eyes, and then they both pulled their wands out.

Seconds later, Percy and a few of his friends' pants were around their ankles, revealing their underwear beneath. Outbursts of laughter roared through the hallway. "This way!" called James, grabbing Remus by the sleeve of his robes and guiding the group around a corner to avoid being caught by the Slytherins.

They paused when they rounded the corner and James and Sirius tucked their wands away again, nonchalantly proud expressions covering their faces. Artemis grinned at James, her eyes twinkling. "Where'd you learn that one?"

"Looked it up just for when I got that particular opportunity," said James, smiling. He put an arm around Artemis's shoulders and the group headed off again, taking an alternate route to the library, the encounter never hindering their goal. "Don't worry, Blake, I'm not afraid to use it again if I have to."

"That'll show him," said Peter, making a disapproving noise. "Shoving you away like that, disgraceful."

Remus laughed. "You sound like my mum, Pete."

With a small smile, Artemis reached out to ruffle Peter's hair and then turned back to James. "So, you guys are all on track, we just need the mandrake leaves."

"Oh-" said Remus, rummaging around in his pockets. "We already got that bit covered." He held out his hand, four small mandrake leaves balanced in his palm. "Sirius and I swiped them the other day after Herbology. It was an open opportunity, so we took it."

Artemis rounded on Sirius with a frown. "And where were we when all of that happened? Couldn't bother to include everyone?"

"Calm down, Blake," sighed Sirius. "You were busy flirting with Spencer Hogan. We couldn't bother to interrupt such an important moment in your life."

"Well, you could've at least told me. Or are you still bent on me not being a part of this?" Artemis shot back.

Sirius looked indignant. "You know, you could just thank me. You don't have to be a part of everything, Art."