𝟕.𝟝.𝟣

"we can know only that we know nothing

"we can know only that we know nothing. and that is the highest degree of human wisdom." ~ Leo Tolstoy

~november 1976~

"Okay, so what do we do to find this guy?" Peter asked, staring down at the list of names in Remus's notebook, Robert McGonagall circled.

Remus snatched the notebook from his hands and stashed it in his bag. They were walking back from the Halloween feast, all five of them thoroughly stuffed and tired. "Nothing," Remus said sharply. "We don't even know if he's related."

"Oh, come off it," James said too loudly. Everyone shushed him and he waved his hand, annoyed. "Come on, a McGonagall from Scotland?"

"Every McGonagall is from Scotland," Artemis said crossly.

James scoffed. "Well, all I'm saying is, there's probably a relation, and either way, I want to do something about it."

"You're quiet," Artemis said, intertwining her fingers with Sirius's and looking up at him.

He was lost in thought, but when Artemis took his hand, he blinked and gave her a tired smile. "Yeah, I'm sort of with James on this one." He ignored Artemis and Remus's mutinous looks. "I'm going crazy in here seeing all those disappearances and not getting to actually do something about it."

"We will do something about it," Remus said, his voice resigned. They'd had the same conversation a million times. "But we're still in school. You're sixteen, Sirius, you don't have to save the world yet."

"Yeah, but I want to," Sirius muttered as they climbed through the portrait hole. "I mean-" He turned to Artemis, "-He disappeared close to the Malfoy's Manor. I could totally figure something out with that. We've got Narcissa living there, and I'm technically family- though I'm not completely sure on that anymore- but we could figure it out-"

Artemis pulled him onto the couch, watching him ramble with mixed concern and amusement in her expression. "Sirius..." she sighed, cutting him off.

"What?"

Before Artemis could say anything, Lily leaned over the back of their couch and ruffled her hair lovingly. "So, what's the plan?"

All five of them whirled around to stare at her. "I- what?" Artemis spluttered.

"The plan," said Lily, confused. "For your birthdays? Are we... doing a joint party, or... I was just wondering if I should get balloons."

Everyone relaxed. "Oh," Artemis said, trying to cover up her alarm. "I- yeah. Yeah, we'll do a joint birthday. Nothing too big-"

"Go big or go home!" James said, throwing an arm up but not taking his eyes off of the list in front of him. "We're going all out this year, Lily."

"Are we really?" said Lily, fighting back a smile.