𝟒.𝟚.𝟣

"do not wait for a coronation; the greatest emperors crown themselves

"do not wait for a coronation; the greatest emperors crown themselves." ~ Robert Greene

~august 1974~

Artemis's mother's kitchen looked relatively the same as it always had when Artemis let herself through the front door on a hot August afternoon and wandered through the rooms of the little house. "Mum?" she called out, poking her head into the little laundry room.

"Up here!" a shout came and Artemis could hear her mother's footsteps crossing the upper floor and coming down the stairs to meet her daughter. "Artie!" Jane enveloped Artemis in a bone crushing hug and Art buried her face in her mum's chest, breathing in the sweet scent of lavender soap and perfume.

"Hey, mum," she said when Jane finally let her go and held her at arm's length. It had been a year since the two had seen each other. Aunt Isobel was hesitant to even let Artemis go to her mother's house for the day, but when Jane stepped in it was impossible to tell her no. She wanted to see her daughter, so she would see her daughter.

Jane looked down at Artemis, who'd grown to almost her height in the last year. It was obvious Artemis had grown up, even over the summer. She'd hit a growth spurt in the last few months and her narrow face now looked older and more confident now. Jane noticed all of this, but she didn't bother with it. What struck her so much now was how much like Andrew Artemis looked. She had the same eyes, the same unruly hair, even the way her mouth quirked up into a contagious smile and the way she stood ever so slightly slouched with her hands tucked into her pockets was the same. It took Jane's breath away for a moment. "Artie, I've missed you so much," she said at last, reaching a hand out to lovingly touch Artemis's choppy hair.

"I missed you too," said Artemis. "It's been a little while." She let out a small laugh. "So, you're making... wedding plans?"

Jane's face lit up. "Oh, yes! I wish Alfie could be here today, he really wanted to see you, but he got this job offer in the city and today's his first day of training. He won't be back until late. Will you be here for dinner or do Gregory and Isobel want you back?"

"They're picking me up at seven," Artemis said, trying not to sound too unhappy with the arrangement. She'd wanted to spend the night at home, in the bedroom she really called her own with her father's old books and the smells of her childhood lulling her to sleep, but her aunt and uncle would have none of it. "So, are you having the wedding here?" she changed the subject.

"Yep, in the garden when all the flowers are just blooming. I'm determined to keep them alive this year."

Artemis snorted. "Good luck with that, Mum." It was a running joke between the two that neither of them could keep a plant alive longer than a few days.

They headed to the dining room, which was sprawling with wedding decorations Jane had already bought and magazines telling her the latest fashions and styles of wedding dresses. Artemis sat at her usual chair and flipped open a magazine, scanning a page filled with bridesmaid's dresses. Her mother looked over her shoulder. "I circled the ones I was thinking about for you, but I do hope you'll think about this one." She pointed to a pale pink sleeveless dress with little flowers designed all over it. It was simple, but elegant. In all honesty, Artemis couldn't see herself wearing it. It looked more like something Marlene would like, but it was her mother's day.