𝟓.𝟜.𝟣

"we can experience nothing but the present moment, live in no other second of time, and to understand this is as close as we can get to eternal life

"we can experience nothing but the present moment, live in no other second of time, and to understand this is as close as we can get to eternal life." ~ P.D. James

~october 1975~

The Gryffindor team was insane that year. They were undefeated and, according to Frank Longbottom, undefeatable. On the night after the third triumphant game of the season, the Gryffindors threw a huge celebratory party in their common room. James stood on the fringes after dancing in the center of the crowd with Emmeline, looking out in satisfaction over his house. They were celebrating him and his team. It meant the world to him. He watched Artemis pass by, pulling some sixth year girl by the tie over to the corner of the room to collapse onto a couch, already entwined in each other's arms.

James smiled a small smile and turned away. He knew Art would probably never speak to the girl again after that night. That was just the way she was. He tried not to question her about it past his usual teasing.

"Hey, man," Edward Parrington, a sixth year boy in Gryffindor, interrupted James's thoughts. "You played great tonight."

James grinned and took a sip of firewhisky mixed with some other kind of alcohol he couldn't place from the plastic cup in his hand. "Thanks," he said. "It's a team effort."

"Oh, yeah," said Edward enthusiastically. "You know, Emmeline played really well too."

"She's great." James smiled fondly in the direction of Emmeline, still dancing wildly with Marlene and Alice at her side.

Edward nodded his head, also staring at Emmeline. "You know, she's kind of pretty too."

James snapped out of his happy daze instantly. He gave Edward a skeptical look. "She's a fourth year, Ed, she's a bit young for you, don't you think? Plus, she's not into guys."

"Yeah, but she got hot this year," Edward justified. "All these girls, Emmeline, and Marlene, and Artemis-" he gestured to Art passionately making out with the girl from before in the corner. "-they all think they wanna date girls. It's just because they haven't found a real man yet."

James sighed, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. He knew he was drunk, but he was thinking perfectly clearly in that moment. "Yeah, see that's where you're wrong," he said, gently setting his drink down on the table at his side. "And sorry about this, you're just sort of a dick." Then, James raised his fist and decked Edward square in the face.

Edward doubled over, covering his face with his hands and groaning.

"Ouch!" James said, shaking out his hand. "Damn, that hurt. Figures, your skull's so thick there's no room for a brain in there." He calmly picked up his drink and walked off to the other side of the room.

In seconds, Artemis was at his side. "Did I just see what I think I saw?" she slurred, staggering drunkenly into his shoulder.

He gave her a little half smile. "Dunno, you might be hallucinating."