𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

𝟏,𝟒𝟓𝟎 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝟏,𝟒𝟓𝟎 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

Artemis was the first to wake in the girls' tent the next morning. She shrugged on a sweatshirt and went outside, hoping the fresh air would help with her pounding headache and crippling hangover. Sirius was sitting in front of the firepit, a cigarette in his hand, staring at it miserably, his back turned to Artemis. She crept over and sat on the log next to him, their shoulders barely touching. "Hey," she said softly.

"Hey."

There was a long silence. Sirius finished off his cigarette and Artemis pulled out her pack, lighting him a new one and one for herself. He took it and his shoulders relaxed ever so slightly. "I do trust you," he said in a low voice.

"I know," said Artemis, staring down at the dirt under her feet.

He paused. "I bought us a house."

Her head jerked upwards. "You what?"

He wouldn't look at her. "A house. For us. Well- I didn't buy it yet, I put an offer in and they took me up on it. If you don't like it, we can always go back on it. I just- I saw it in the paper earlier this year, while we were still in school, and James talked me into it. It's in a muggle neighborhood, but it isn't far from Diagon Alley. I thought it might... be safer. That way." He finally met her eyes, searching her for any hint of what she was thinking. He gave up. "What do you think?"

"I want to see it," she murmured, taking another drag from her cigarette. "Does it have a porch?"

His eyes lit up. "It's got everything you used to say you wanted in a house. A porch. A nice kitchen, a backyard."

She couldn't help smiling. "You bought me a house," she said, looking back down at the ground.

"I bought you a house, and I'm sorry we fought," he said, leaning his shoulder into hers. "I'm really, really sorry. I do trust you, I mean it. I just worry about hurting you, that's all."

She nodded. "I know you do. We were drunk. And high. It's... it's water under the bridge. Plus, you bought me a house, so how am I supposed to stay mad?"

Sirius grinned and got to her feet, pulling her up with him. "Well, I say we pack up and get Remus to drop us off there. To be completely honest, I'm a bit ready to not be living out of a van for awhile."

"Agreed."

~

It was a one-story ranch style house in a quiet neighborhood. It was the last thing Artemis would ever expect Sirius to buy, but something about it drew her in. The porch was perfect for hanging plants, the garage was just the right size for Sirius's motorbike, and the backyard was perfect. She stood at his side, the realtor a few feet away, staring up at the house. Her house. Their house.

"So, what do you think?" the realtor said at last, desperate to break the silence.

"I want to see the inside," she said, already heading for the door.