𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

𝟗𝟖𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝟗𝟖𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

"So," said Artemis, dicing tomatoes while Sirius stirred a pot of pasta at the stove, "-when're you planning on taking down the Christmas lights?"

It was February. Sirius, however, didn't care what time of the year it was. "They make the house more lively- come on, Art, the Christmas spirit doesn't need to die immediately after the holidays."

"Well, it needs to die at some point." She scraped the tomatoes into the sauce they were making and turned up the heat on the stove.

Sirius gave her a mock pouting face and moved to drain the pasta. "But the house is so dark without them- makes it look all wintry and depressing."

"Yeah, welcome to England in February."

He laughed and flicked his wand at the cabinet. Plates and glasses zoomed out of it and settled themselves on the kitchen table. "Don't you think it looks cozier with the lights? Like people actually live here, it's welcoming-"

"Ah, yes, welcoming," Artemis snorted. "That's what we're looking for at the start of a wizarding war. Another way to draw attention to ourselves."

She muttered an incantation and the pasta started plating itself. Sirius wound his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek. "I'll take the lights down tomorrow morning."

She smiled up at him, then turned to look out at the low glow from the Christmas lights reflecting off of the snow outside. It did make the dark winter look a little warmer. "Ah, don't worry about it," she said softly. "We can leave them up for a little longer."

"You're impossible, Blake," Sirius said, but he kissed her again and pulled her chair out for her before sitting in his own.

Artemis wound pasta around her fork and took a bite. Sirius gazed at her apprehensively. "How is it?"

"I think we're getting better at this cooking thing," she said.

"Fantastic."

They were only halfway through dinner when a knock on the door made them both jump. "Are we expecting anyone?" asked Artemis.

"No," said Sirius. "Not that I know of. Maybe James got off patrol early."

"I'll get it," said Artemis, her chair scraping against the floor.

She checked the peephole, but didn't believe what she was seeing until she opened the door. Cold winter air gusted inside the little house, snow flurries surrounding the figure suspended in the frame, unsure as to whether or not he was welcome inside.

"Sirius..." Artemis said slowly, "It's your brother."

Sirius was at Artemis's side in seconds. "Regulus," he said breathlessly.

"Sirius," said Regulus. "I- can I come in?"

Artemis stepped aside and Sirius followed her lead. Regulus swept over the threshold and Artemis closed the door behind him, shutting out the cold. Regulus shivered and hugged his arms to his chest, keeping his coat wrapped tightly to his body.