𝟒.𝟟.𝟣

"I wish I were a girl again, half-savage and hardy, and free

"I wish I were a girl again, half-savage and hardy, and free." ~ Emily Brontë

~january 1975~

The boy's dormitory smelled sharply and deeply of cigarettes the next morning, when Remus and Artemis sat on the window seat smoking and watching the rest of the boys divvy out the mandrake leaves. "You're sure about this?" Remus asked for the fifteenth time that hour.

Sirius, James, and Peter all rounded on him. "You ask that one more time and maybe I won't be so sure," Peter said drily, fingering the leaf in his hand.

"Honestly, mate," said James, "-it's like you think something bad could happen."

Remus rolled his eyes. "A million bad things could happen. This is a really bad idea."

"You were a big fan of it last spring," said Sirius.

"I've never been a big fan of it," countered Remus.

Artemis blew smoke onto the glass of the window, fogging it up and then rubbing away the condensation with the sleeve of her sweater. "Will you just take the leaves already so I don't have to hear you arguing?"

"Honestly..." muttered Remus.

"Alright, alright," said James, waving his arms manically. "We've got all the details sorted, so there's only one thing left to do. On the count of three, boys. Get ready to not open your mouths for a month."

Sirius and Peter nodded solemnly. "One..." said Remus, counting off for them.

"Two..." said Artemis.

The two of them exchanged a smile, and then together, said, "Three!"

The three boys popped the mandrake leaves into their mouths and held them there. There was a full minute of silence, and then Artemis burst out laughing. "Oh, I think I'm going to like this," she said, swinging her legs off the side of the window seat and standing up. "Finally some peace and quiet."

Sirius scowled at her, but didn't say anything.

"What's that?" she taunted, stepping closer to him. "Couldn't hear you. Oh, and by the way, that haircut you got over holiday looks ruddy awful. I could've done a way better job... though maybe I'll butcher it next time for the sake of revenge-"

Sirius swatted his hand out to push her away but she dodged narrowly, giving him a crooked grin.

"Mmmm, missed. Sorry about that."

He nearly opened his mouth, but then caught himself and clamped his lips firmly together. James hit him lightly in the chest, shaking his head wildly. "Don't do that, Art," Remus said softly, though his eyes were filled with laughter. "If he breaks, he'll have to be quiet for an entire second month."