𝟏.𝟙𝟚.𝟣

"but my world has become one of infinite possibilities." ~ Ralph Ellison

~june 1972~

tw : domestic violence

"Hows Marlene?" Severus asked, reaching down to take Lily's books from her arms and add them to his stack. "Ever find out what happened to her?"

Lily shook her head, a frown spreading across her lips. "No, but I know for a fact she didn't fall down the stairs. It's the story they're all sticking to and it's driving me absolutely mad- I mean, especially Artemis. She's supposed to be my friend and she keeps siding with the boys."

"They're trouble, all of them," Severus said sagely. "I tried to warn you, Lily."

Lily's bright green eyes flashed in annoyance and she gave Severus a disapproving look. "They're in my house, Sev. Although you were right about the boys. They're just trouble. Art's great, just not when she's around them."

Severus made a disapproving noise. "Just don't get too fond of her," he said knowingly, "I, for one, don't think she's trustworthy."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lily asked, looking aghast. "She's my friend, Sev. Of course she's trustworthy."

Severus sighed and gave her a condescending look. "Like I said, don't be so sure. You never know with- her kind."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lily ran her fingers through her tangled red curls, her eyes wild. "Is this another blood status thing?"

Severus gave her a noncommittal shrug and quickened his step. "You've just got to be careful. Those boys went back to calling me Snivellus, by the way. If there's anything you can do about it-"

"Of course they did." Lily was looking enraged. "They're bullies, all of them. I'm sorry, Sev, I'll see what I can do. Actually, I was just about to study with Remus and Art, so maybe I can talk to them about it. They'll be able to get through to James and Sirius better than I can."

Severus gave her a disbelieving look. "You sure about that? I think Potter would do whatever you tell him to in a heartbeat."

"No, he wouldn't," Lily said, shaking her head. "He's not like that. Potter does whatever he wants whenever he wants. There's no controlling him."

"How annoying," said Severus, his nose upturned at the mere thought of James Potter. "They all act as though the rules don't even exist."

"I know!" Lily gave him the smallest of smiles and reached out to take her books back as they made it to the door of the library. "Alright, well, I'll talk to you later."

"Meet me after dinner?"

"It's a plan." Lily exchanged one last smile with Severus, and then turned and disappeared into the library.

In the library, Remus and Artemis were already sitting at their usual table, facing each other. There were several large stacks of books between them, but they'd made a sort of tunnel that they could see each other through. Harry had been sitting on top of the next table over for close to a half an hour now, listening to Remus and Artemis argue over what the best book of the previous decade was. "It's Slaughterhouse Five," Remus said, waving his arms frustratedly. "It's an obvious choice, Art!"

"No, it's not! You've never even read The Feminine Mystique."

"I don't like Betty Friedan-"

"Why? Cause she's a woman?" Art challenged.

Remus leaned back in his seat and ran his fingers through his short brown hair. "You know that's not why," he said in a drawn out voice, "I read the first chapter and got bored."