𝟒.𝟙𝟚.𝟣

"but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams

"but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams." ~ William Butler Yeats

~june 1975~

"I can't believe it's taken this long to get the right storm for the transformation," James said moodily, staring up into the clear blue sky with distaste.

He and Artemis were walking the grounds together, both having gotten bored of sitting in the common room with the rest of their house, all of whom were freaking out over the upcoming finals. Artemis wasn't worried. She was third in her class and she was confident she'd do fine on the exams. "You know, the house cup storm might've been your chance."

James shook his head. "All four of us were watching the sky like crazy all day, no lighting. Not once. Bloody insane." He scowled at the sky again as if it was personally doing him wrong. Then, he turned his gaze to Artemis. "So, are things okay with you and Marlene now?"

"Yeah," Artemis said softly, hugging her arms to her chest. "Yeah, we had a classic heart to heart in the common room this morning. Marlene's still a little annoyed, but we got thing mostly smoothed over."

"That's a win in my book," James said, and gave her a comforting smile. "And you're ready for your mum's wedding?"

At this, Artemis frowned and stared down at the grass under her shoes as they walked. "Ready isn't exactly the right word for it. I have my dress and Remus is going as my plus one, which I talked my mum into because Percy won't be there, but it still just feels so strange. It's all happening so fast."

"I dunno if I'd ever feel ready for that in your situation," James said pensively. "Hey, d'you have to go back to your aunt and uncle's after?"

"Yeah," said Artemis, her eyes darkening. "Right after the wedding and they're keeping me for the whole summer."

James stopped walking. Artemis stopped too and turned to look at him expectantly, her eyebrows raised in confusion. "No, you're not," James said decidedly.

"Yeah... I am."

"No," he said again, staring at her defiantly. "Look, Sirius is coming to stay with me this summer. We got it all sorted last night. His parents aren't exactly happy about it, but my parents pulled a few strings and there wasn't much reason for them to say no. So... I was doing some thinking... and I may or may not have written my parents about it... and I think we could do the same for you. Actually, scratch that. We're going to do the same for you. I'm not letting you go back there, Art. You're coming to stay with me this summer and that's final."

Artemis stared at him, her mouth slightly agape. "An entire summer with you and Sirius..."

"I know it sounds like a train wreck, but it's better than the alternative-" James started, but then Artemis was throwing her arms around his neck, almost knocking him off his feet with her full weight, her hair tumbling over his shoulders as he lifted her off her feet. "Okay, okay," he laughed, "-that's- that's okay- Art, Jesus, you're smothering me!"