𝟓.𝟚.𝟣

"love all, trust a few, do wrong to none

"love all, trust a few, do wrong to none." ~ William Shakespeare

~august 1975~

Sirius was sitting in the Potter's kitchen on a warm August morning, a light breeze ruffling the curtains in the window as he ate cereal and talked to Mrs. Potter, who was doing the dishes and humming softly under her breath. "So we just take the trolley into the city and then we can walk everywhere?" he asked, still unsure about how muggle transportation worked. Mr. and Mrs. Potter were going out for the day, so they told James, Sirius, and Artemis that they could take the trolley into the nearby city to spend the day.

"Mhmm," said Mrs. Potter. "The trolley comes right through the village at the bottom of the hill and it'll take you right downtown."

Sirius shoved another bite of cereal into his mouth as footsteps sounded on the stairs and then Artemis flew into the room wearing a short, sleeveless red dress that fluttered around her legs. "Mrs. Potter, have you seen my red ribbon?" she asked, standing barefoot in the kitchen, the morning sunlight making her hair glow golden brown. Sirius's spoon stopped halfway to his mouth and he choked a little as he stared at Artemis, all thoughts slipping from his head.

Artemis didn't pay him any attention. After a month of living with the Potters, she'd gotten used to at least one of the boys being there and acting strange at all times. Mrs. Potter turned around from the sink to face Artemis, a thoughtful look on her face. "Hmmm, check the laundry. It might've gotten mixed in. You look very nice, by the way, I like that dress."

"Thanks!" Artemis said with a bright smile, and hurried out of the room.

When she was gone, Sirius cleared his throat and shook his head hard, taking the bite that had stopped midway to his mouth. Mrs. Potter turned to him, an amused glint in her eyes that was so similar to the look James got when he was about to cause trouble. "More cereal, Sirius? I think you drooled some of it onto the floor."

"Owned!" James cried, bounding through the garden door into the kitchen and grinning broadly at his mother. "You tell him, Mum. Wait- what were you talking about?"

"Don't worry about it," Mrs. Potter said lightly.

James shrugged carelessly and headed for the stairs. "Whatever, I'm going to go tell Art to hurry it up. Trolley's leaving soon."

Mrs. Potter watched her son go, and then raised her eyebrows pointedly at Sirius. "Oh, stop it," Sirius said around a mouthful. "I don't like her like that."

"You said it, not me," said Mrs. Potter, smiling as she turned back to the sink. "And don't talk with your mouth full."

~

It wasn't a long ride into the city and Artemis stood on the edge trolley with the boys, holding onto one of the railings and leaning her head over the side to let the wind blow her hair in all directions. She'd secured some of it up with a bright red ribbon that matched her dress and it fluttered in the breeze. James and Sirius leaned their heads over the edge too and Sirius opened his mouth like a dog, which Artemis didn't fail to point out. He gave her a playful shove and she shrieked and grabbed onto his arm. "Don't do that!" she cried, laughing and tightening her grip on the railing. "Scared the shit out of me, Black."