𝟏.𝟚.𝟢

"it is my wish that you may have a better and freer life than I have had." ~ Ludwig van Beethoven

~august 1971~

"I'm having Percy get your school things for you when he goes with his friends," Jane said, tying an envelope to the leg of a small owl on the counter. Artemis rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and climbed up onto the counter next to the owl to pull a bowl off the shelf.

"Why can't I get my own things?" she asked, trying not to sound like she was complaining. Her mother didn't answer for a moment. She picked up the little owl, stroked its feathers, and brought it to the open window. Artemis and Jane watched it spread its wings and fly away.

"I just think it's easier for Percy to get them for you," Jane continued the conversation after a long silence. "You know, when he was getting his things for the first time, your dad took him."  Artemis dumped cereal into the bowl and poured milk on top of it. "Is that alright?" her mother asked, sounding worried.

"Yeah, it's fine." Then, something dawned on Artemis. "Wait... how's he going to get my things to me?" Jane looked up from her reflection in the oven door where she'd been fixing her hair for work, a knowing smile forming on her lips.

"Well, that's what I wanted to tell you about. Percy's coming home for the rest of the summer."

Artemis's face split into a huge grin. "He is? When?"

"Next week."

"Next week." Artemis settled her chin in her hand and stared out the window after the owl, which was now long out of sight. Her older brother was her best friend in the whole world, and he was coming home. Her mother only shrugged and finished off her coffee, setting the mug in the sink.

"I won't be home until late tonight-"

"Another date with Alfred?" She made a disgusted face when she said the name. Jane had been going out with her new boyfriend almost every night for the past month, leaving Artemis more alone than ever.

"Alfie's just taking me out for dinner," Jane said, not meeting her daughter's eye. Artemis raised her eyebrows at 'Alfie.' "You should be grateful, anyways. This is the most food we've had in the house since..." She trailed off, her eyes taking on a misty, far off look. Artemis scowled down at her bowl and didn't say anything. Her mother was right, the fridge hadn't been so stocked since Andrew's death, even if it was all half-eaten leftovers, but Artemis didn't care. She already hadn't seen her mother enough that summer, and now it was even less. At least Percy was coming home.

~

The next week passed slowly and much the same as every other that summer, but the second Artemis heard bags drop at the door that Saturday, she raced from her room and took the stairs two at a time, almost slipping on the landing, to see her brother. "Percy!" She flung herself into her brother's arms. Percy was just over a head taller than Artemis, so he stumbled backwards slightly at the force of her hug.

"Merlin, Art," he mumbled, but hugged her back tightly. "Miss me much?"

Artemis stepped back and brushed off his shoulder. "Of course I missed you, Perc. Where's Mum?"

Percy shrugged. "Some guy stopped her on our way in. She told me to just go inside." His forehead creased in worry as Artemis sprang to the window. "What's up?"

Artemis stared through the glass for a long time before answering. Percy stood at her shoulder, watching Jane converse with a tall, burly man dressed all in black. "Mum's been acting strange..." Artemis muttered, then turned from the window.