20-TWENTY 💖

ASMAU

I finished washing the plates from dinner, turned off the kitchen lights, and stepped out of the kitchen when Abubakar's voice called me from upstairs.

"Na'am?" I replied, my voice echoing through the house.

"Bring my phone when you are coming upstairs. I left it in the parlour downstairs," he requested.

"Okay," I responded, moving over to grab his phone from where it lay. As I held the phone, I noticed a new message notification from Iman. My curiosity got the better of me, and I opened the message to read its content.

Iman: We gonna meet up tomorrow, right??

So they are planning to meet tomorrow. Anger and anxiety surged within me as I replied her.

Me: Yeah, we will. Where and what time?

Iman responded with the details of their meeting place and time. It was as if a cold realization washed over me. This was more than just an innocent business meeting.

I whispered to myself, "I'm sure she's the one who fabricated those photos, just to draw a fight between Abubakar and me. Well, we'll see, Iman."

Realizing that I had taken a little too long, I quickly deleted the conversation, turned off the light, and rushed upstairs.

"Here," I handed Abubakar his phone.

"Thanks," he replied, nonchalantly.

I changed into my pyjamas, recited my supplications, and settled into bed. The room was draped in a heavy silence as usual.

A few minutes later, he switched off his bedside lamp and turned away from me, his back facing me.

Summoning my courage, I moved closer to his ear my voice barely a whisper. "When will you believe what I say to you?" A tear found its way down my cheek as I spoke.

He remained silent, and I continued, "I know you feel betrayed and cheated. But at least consider the possibility that there's more to this situation. I have never and will never betray you, Abubakar. It hurts me deeply that you see me as a betrayer, but I hope that someday when you find out the truth, it won't be too late."

With a heavy heart, I retreated to my side of the bed and laid down.

***
Morning..

"I want you to please allow me to go visit Ibty," I asked, Abubakar.

"Yeah, do whatever you want. I couldn't care less. I'm heading out," he retorted and left.

His words stung, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I prepared myself and left the house, my heart heavy with the ache of the growing distance between us. I drove to the restaurant where I was supposed to meet Iman.

As I stepped out of the car and walked into the restaurant, I spotted Iman sitting at table 4, engrossed in conversation with the waiter. I waited patiently for her to finish before approaching her.

She glanced up and her surprise was evident. "Asmau," she stuttered, rising from her seat. "What are you doing here?" she inquired.

"You didn't expect to see me, did you?" I quipped.

"Where's Abubakar?" she asked, scanning the area.

"He's not here, obviously. I'm here to take his place, you fool," I said, with anger in my voice.

"Don't you dare insult me, Asmau. And I highly doubt Abubakar knows about this," she countered.

"That's not the point. And don't play innocent with me, Iman. You orchestrated those photos didn't you? You wanted Abubakar and I to have a misunderstanding, make it seem like I betrayed him with Abdul," I accused.