48-FORTY EIGHT💙

ASMAU

Flashback

"What's happening here, please? Do you know each other?" the VP asked, a puzzled expression mirroring the others in the room.

"Yes," Iman smirked. "Asmau is Abubakar's wife."

"His..."

"Run..."

"Away..."

"Wife..."

They all gasped.

"Asmau is this true? You are Mr. Abubakar's wife?"  One of the staff members asked, mirroring the shock on other faces in the room.

"Yes, Asmau is my wife," Abubakar confirmed, his voice steady.

"But why didn't you tell us this before?" the VP inquired, her brows furrowed in confusion.

Because you didn't ask; is what I would have said if things weren't so complicated right now.

"Maybe she was too ashamed of herself," said Iman, in a smug tone.

"Why would I be ashamed, Iman? I haven't done anything wrong," I replied calmly. "And at least I'm not the one obsessed with someone else's husband."

"Enough!" Abubakar's firm command sliced through the tension. "This isn't the time for arguments. Please, let's not make this situation more complicated."

"Asmau, please calm down," Abeedah whispered, rubbing my hand soothingly.

"This meeting is over; you may all leave," the president announced, and they all began walking out of the room.

"Excuse me," I muttered and moved out too,  making my way to my office.

"Asmau! Asmau!"

"What do you want now, Iman? Can't you just leave me alone?" I asked, my patience wearing thin. She came to stand in front of me with her arms folded against her chest.

"No, I won't, until you leave Abubakar," she said.

"Wait first, am I holding him? Or did I tie him to a leash? As far as I know, I didn't, and he has all the rights to decide for himself. So just leave me alone; I'm fed up with all this, Iman!"  I snapped, furiously.

"Then leave him, ask for a divorce, and I promise to leave you alone."

I stormed over to where she stood and pulled her roughly by the arm. "What if I don't do what you want? You know you can't force me."

"Then get ready to go through hell in this place," she threatened trying to release herself from my hold.

"Iman, I'm not the old Asmau anymore, so I won't let you step over me and hurt me however you want. So we might as well go through it together this place together, right?" I smirked and tightened my grip on her arm.

"Let go of me," Iman demanded, struggling to break free from my grip.

"What if I don't?" I challenged.

Abubakar approached the scene, and Iman quickly played the victim, shedding crocodile tears. "Asmau, you are hurting me, please let go,"

I let go of her arm and stepped back..

"What's going on here?" Abubakar asked, looking at the both of us.

"Asmau tried to break my arm," she lied.