40-FORTY❣

ASMAU

"I'm deeply sorry, but you lost the baby," the doctor delivered the heart-wrenching news I had hoped never to hear.

"No, No, No, No, No! This can't be happening. I can't lose my baby," I sobbed, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I truly regret having to tell you this, Mrs. Abubakar. There's nothing more we can do. Excuse me," the doctor said before leaving the room.

"Abubakar, please, tell me it's not true. Please, I beg you," I cried, reaching out to him.

He rushed over, enveloping me in a comforting hug and gently rubbed my back. "My love, I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry," he whispered, holding me tightly.

"But I want my baby back! What did I do wrong?" I sobbed.

"Hush, don't say that. We must be patient and accept Allah's decree my love," he replied.

"But I longed to hold my baby in my arms. I want my baby back, please. I promise I'll be more careful. Just pl—"

Abubakar cradled me, trying to conceal his pain too. "Sabr, my love. Let's hope this is for the best," he whispered, and I nodded. We pulled away as Ya Aminah and Summaya entered the room.

"I'll go talk to the doctor. I'll be right back," Abubakar said, planting a kiss on my forehead before leaving.

"Asmau, my love!" Ya Aminah embraced me, "Ya Amina, I lost my baby," I sniffled, the pain cutting deep.

"It's okay, baby sis. Everything will be fine," she reassured, her hand soothingly rubbing my back.

"This is all my fault," I sighed.

"Don't you dare say that, Asmau. It's nobody's fault. It was destined to happen. You were destined to have a miscarriage, and nothing can change that. Just be patient and keep on praying. Allah yasa shine mafi Alkhairi," she prayed, and I whispered an Ameen.

UNKNOWN POV

"I hope you know what to say, right?" She asked.

"Yes, I do. Don't worry," I reassured her.

"Doctor Hameed, I'm relying on you. You know that, right?"

"Iman, I won't let you down. I can never forget how your father helped me in life. He helped me become who I am today, a doctor in this hospital. So, I'm repaying all the good he did for me. Rest your case, Iman, and your mind should be at peace."

"That's good, Doctor Hameed. I'm glad I can trust you."

"Yes, Iman. I have to go now," I said.

"Okay, then, goodbye," she replied and hang up. A knock at my office door interrupted my thoughts.

"Come in," I called out.

"Doctor, can we talk?" Abubakar asked as he entered my office.

"Yes, Abubakar. Have a seat," I gestured for him to sit down.

"I'm here to talk about my wife's health. What happened, Doctor? How did she have a miscarriage? I'm sure there's something, right?" He inquired with concern.

"Well, Abubakar, due to the tests we conducted, we discovered that your wife consumed something poisonous that affected the baby. It could have posed a threat to her life as well if she had consumed more of it."

"What are you saying, Doctor? What did she take?" He asked, curiously.

"Pregnancy can cause women to crave certain foods and drinks. In her case, she consumed a drink that was very dangerous to her health. It's a kind of poison. However, I won't say she did it intentionally because she might have unknowingly consumed it in a particular drink, but—"