38-THIRTY EIGHT🖤

ASMAU

"I don't think it's a good idea, Asmau," Ibty said, clearly concerned. I had informed her about my plan to meet the person who sent that anonymous message yesterday, and she was not on board.

"Ibty, come on!" I protested, trying to persuade her.

"It's dangerous. You don't know this person. What if they intend to harm you or the baby? Have you even told Abubakar about this?" she questioned, her worry evident in her voice.

I shook my head firmly, "No, I didn't. And please, don't inform him because he won't let me go. I just want to protect my mother; I don't want anyone else trying to harm her."

"Alright, I'll take you there and wait for you. If anything happens, just scream for help, and I'll come running," Ibty finally relented.

I smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Ibty. You are the best."

"Let's get ready," I urged, taking her hand and pulling her upstairs to my room to prepare.

IMAN

"We have a problem," Salma announced through the phone, her voice laden with worry.

I sighed audibly. "I'm not surprised, it feels like we always have problems," I muttered. "So, what is it this time?" I asked, bracing myself for whatever new issue had arisen.

"I overheard Asmau talking to Ibty. She mentioned that someone messaged her yesterday, claiming to know who tried to kill her mother. As a result, they're planning to meet this person today. Iman, I'm scared. What if they discover that I'm the one behind it? Who could be doing this?" Salma's voice trembled with fear.

I took a moment to think about who might be responsible for this situation. "I have a hunch about who could be behind this," I said.

"Who?!" Salma exclaimed, clearly eager to hear more.

"I'll call you later. Right now, I need to handle something," I replied before ending the call.

"Dija! Dija, come here now!" I yelled impatiently.

"Yes, I'm here, Aunty Iman," our housemaid, Dija, hurried out of the kitchen.

"You ungrateful brat!" I yelled, my frustration boiling over as I slapped her across the cheek. She stumbled, tears streaming down her face.

"Aunty Iman, what did I do?" she cried out, bewildered.

"How dare you ask me what you did?!" I shouted, giving her another stinging slap. "After betraying me, going behind my back! You were planning on telling Asmau everything after I had told you not to!"

"But I didn't tell her anything," Dija pleaded as fresh tears welled in her eyes, her voice trembling.

"You didn't tell her yet, but you were planning to, weren't you?" I snapped. "You planned to meet up with her and spill everything. I expected better from you! What more do you want in this house? Isn't what we pay you enough?"

"I'm so sorry. I only did it because my mother is in the hospital, and she needs urgent surgery to save her life. I didn't want to betray you, but I felt I had no choice. I needed the money," Dija confessed, her tears flowing freely.

"You are a disappointment," I retorted, my anger rising once more. "I could have helped you if you had confided in me about your mother's health. But instead, you chose betrayal, and now you're going to regret it."

"Please, Aunty Iman, forgive me," she pleaded desperately.

"Stand up!" I ordered, grabbing her arm and leading her towards another room. Her cries continued, but I was not giving in.