28-TWENTY EIGHT🖤

ASMAU

It's been nearly a month since our return from Maiduguri, and I really enjoyed our time there. Alhamdulillah, it was a truly an enjoyable experience. As I was mixing flour in the kitchen, I heard the sound of my ringtone echoing from the quiet parlour. A sigh escaped my lips; my phone always seemed to choose the least convenient moments to ring.

"Should I bring the phone, Ummu Afeen?" Saratu offered.

"No, don't worry, Saratu. You are busy with your work. I'll go get it," I replied, setting the bowl of flour down gently.

With Afeena peacefully asleep in the carrier on my back, I made my way to the parlour, where my phone rested on the center table. "Assalamu'alykum," I greeted as I answered the call.

"Wa'alykusalam, Asmau, it's Hadiza Bashir,"

"Ooh Hadiza, it's you!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, sorry for taking time. I just found the number. I thought I had lost it," she apologized.

"No problem at all. So, how have you been? And how's everyone back in Maiduguri?"

"Alhamdulillah, we're all fine," she replied. "And your family?"

"Alhamdulillah, everyone here is doing well. How's Maiduguri?"

"Maiduguri is fine. I'll be coming to Abuja soon, In shaa Allah, maybe next week. So, if I do come, I'll visit you," she shared.

"Allah ya kaimu, that would be wonderful. Although, next week might not be the best time as my friend is getting married," I mentioned.

"Your friend? Who's getting married?" she inquired.

"It's Ibteesam," I responded.

"Ibteesam Munnir? My fighting partner and friend?" Hadiza exclaimed in surprise.

I chuckled, reminiscing about the fiery friendship between Ibteesam and Hadiza back in our school days. "Yes, that's her."

"Wow, Allah sarki! I wish I could attend," Hadiza sighed.

"You really should. I'm sure she'd be happy to see you after ages," I encouraged.

"Alright then, Asmau. Please, make it a surprise. Don't tell her I'm coming,"

"Okay, In shaa Allah, it'll be our secret," I agreed with a mischievous tone in my voice.

"We'll see, then. I have to go now, ma'u. Please give my regards to your husband and kids."

"Of course, In shaa Allah. Take care, Hadiza," I bid her farewell before ending the call.

I returned to the kitchen, and continued my task.

**

"Don't even think about making me cry, because it's not happening," Ibty declared as the makeup artist worked on her face. Today was her Nikah, and the room buzzed with excitement. We had been teasing her to shed a tear, but she was determined not to.

"Trust me, once that knot is tied, she'll be a fountain," her elder sister, Adda Manal, chimed in making us all laugh.

"Adda, you've got a point there," I chuckled.

"I'd place a bet that she'll cry," Farhan whispered in my ear, and I nodded in agreement. Ibty shot us a playful glare, clearly curious about our conversation.

"What are you both gossiping about?"

"None of your business girl," Farhan retorted, and Ibteesam rolled her eyes. A few minutes later, the makeup artist finished with her makeup and then joined me on the bed, taking a seat.