44-FORTY FOUR🧡

A week later
ABUBAKAR

It's been a week, an agonizingly long week since Asmau left. We haven't been in touch, no text messages, no phone calls, nothing at all. I've tried asking some of her sisters and her best friend, Ibty, whether they know anything about her whereabouts, but they all don't. She hasn't contacted any of them.

Today, I'm going back to Babaji's house to ask Ya Aminah if she has any news about Asmau. I'm not going to give up until I find my wife and bring her back home.

I grabbed my phone and car keys, all ready to leave when Safeeya walked out of the kitchen, with a sobbing Afeena trailing behind her. Afeena has been extremely clingy to Safeeya, especially since Asmau left. The other day, I heard her crying and shouting for Asmau, but the good thing was that Safeeya did the job of calming her down. I don't understand why Asmau would leave her kids, especially the twins. But then, I know she will return home. She will come back soon; I'm sure of it.

"What happened to my baby?" I asked, carrying her up in my arms.

"She wants to take her afternoon nap, but she wants me to cuddle her to sleep. I'm preparing dinner, and I just finished her custard," Safeeya explained, wiggling Afeena's feeding bottle that contained banana-flavored custard.

"It's okay now, baby. Stop crying. Do you want some sweets?" I asked, wiping away her tears, and she nodded.

"Okay, Daddy will get you some sweets."

"Daddy, are you going out?" Safeeya asked.

"Yes, Feeyah. I'm going to Babaji's place. I need to speak with Ya Aminah. So take care of the house while I'm gone and call if you need anything," I said.

She nodded. "Okay, In shaa Allah."

**

"Abubakar, how are you doing?" Ya Aminah asked after we took our seats.

"Well, I'm coping, Alhamdulillah."

She smiled sadly. "Abubakar, I apologize again for what Asmau did. I'm really s—"

"It's okay, Aminah, you shouldn't apologize. Part of it was my fault, so I should be the one apologizing, not you. By the way, have you heard from Asmau, or is there still no news?" I asked.

"Well, Abubakar, I'll be honest with you. Yesterday, Asmau called me." A sudden wave of happiness washed over me as I urged her to continue. "But we just argued because I scolded her, and she got angry with me, so she cut the call."

"But did she mention if she was coming back or not?" I asked eagerly.

"No, she didn't. She just said for now she doesn't have plans, but all she knows is that she will be staying there for a while."

"But where did she even go to?"

"She refused to inform me, Abubakar."

I sighed, deflated. "Okay, then, can I get her new phone number? Because anytime I call her other line, it doesn't go through."

"Yeah, she removed the other SIM and replaced it with a new one; that's the reason why."

"She really doesn't want anything to do with me," I chuckled sadly.

"It's not like that, Abubakar. Please, I'm sure she will come to her senses soon. Just be patient with her. Here's the number." She passed me her phone, and I copied the digits.