32-THIRTY TWO💘

Upon arriving at my parents' house, I parked the car and got out, my heart heavy with sorrow.

I opened the back door and gently brought out the twins as they stood on their tiny toes. Afeena had been crying since we left the house, and I could tell she was confused about what was happening.

"Afeena, please stop crying," I sighed, trying to console her as I helped them put on their little backpacks.

She looked up at me with teary eyes,"Da-da," her little voice barely above a whisper spoke her father's name. Afeen, was rubbing her back in an attempt to soothe her cries. I smiled staring at them adorably. I knew that taking them away from their father and siblings was wrong, but I felt it was necessary. They were better off with me.

Our security man helped carry my suitcases to the door, while I walked to the entrance with Afeen and Afeena, still holding their little hands.

"Suna gida? Are they home?" I asked him.

"Ba dukansu bah. Hajiya Babba ta fita da yaran," he replied, and I nodded in understanding.

"Nagode," I said, and then entered the house. I placed the twins on the couch and gave them their iPads to keep them occupied before making my way toward the stairs. My jaw dropped as I reached the landing, stunned by the sight in front of me.

Could this day get any worse?

End of flashback..

My mother's lifeless body lay on the floor, blood gushing from her head. Panic surged through me as I hurriedly ran to her side, desperately calling for help. Our housemaid, Indo, rushed in, her face masked of shock.

"Innalillahi wa inna ilaihir raji'un," Indo whispered repeatedly, her voice quivering.

"Indo, please call for help right now!" I shouted, my voice choked with sobs.

"Ya Allah, have mercy and save my mother," I prayed. In the midst of my anguish, I noticed a figure I hadn't seen before standing on the stairs.

"Ya Salma," I murmured, recognizing her. Salma appeared utterly shocked, her mouth agape, and her whole body trembling.

"Ya Salma, please help me get Auntie to the car," I implored. She nodded and rushed over to assist. The three of us carefully lifted my mother and carried her to the waiting car. With urgency, I got behind the wheel and sped off to the hospital.

Upon our arrival at the hospital, medical staff immediately wheeled my mother into the emergency ward.

5 HOURS LATER

I sat in the hospital chair, my eyes fixed on my mother's pale body, surrounded by tubes and bandages. She was always the cheerful one, the woman who brought smiles to everyone around her. Yet here she lay unconscious and fragile. A lump formed in my throat as I reached for a tissue, my eyes brimming with tears as I wiped them away.

The room's door creaked open, but I didn't bother to turn around; it was probably one of my family members. Then, I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder, and the familiar scent of cologne reached my nostrils. I knew exactly who it was. Despite my reluctance, I turned my head, and there he was.

The last person I wanted to see right now.

"W-wh-what are you doing here?" I stuttered, rising from my seat. Just the sight of him brought back the memories of his betrayal and the immense pain he had caused me some few hours ago.

"I heard what happened to Aunty. Asmau, please stop crying; Aunty will be fine. I'm here for you," he said softly, his arms enveloping me in an embrace. I couldn't muster the strength to resist or push him away. I was overwhelmed with sadness, and I needed someone to lean on even though I was still hurt by him.