27-TWENTY SEVEN💙

ASMAU

This week in Maiduguri has been hectic with all the wedding festivities. The Nikah took place first, and tonight is the dinner. After finishing my light makeup, I looked at myself in the mirror, making sure everything was in place.

"Mummy, why can't we go?" Safeeya asked, for the umpteenth time.

"Safeeya, kids aren't invited to these events," I explained patiently,

"But Mummy, I'm not a kid anymore. I just really want to go," she pleaded.

I sighed, knowing she wouldn't let it go easily. "Feeyah, if I let you go, then I'd have to take your siblings with us. So, please, stay home and enjoy playing with your cousins."

"Mama," she whined.

"Feeyah, please understand. Aunty Hafsa will be here with you, and I won't be gone for long. Probably less than two hours," I reassured her.

"Okay, Mama," she sighed reluctantly.

"If you need anything just call me, darling. Don't be mad at Mama. I'll be back before you know it. And take good care of your siblings. I trust you, big sis."

"Alright, Mama," she agreed, and I gave her a kiss on each cheek before leaving, sneaking out without the twins noticing, so they wouldn't make a fuss.

"Asmau, the car is waiting for us outside. Let's go," Hanan reminded me.

"Okay," I said, trying to suppress my worries. I knew my kids would be fine, but leaving them alone was always a bit uncomfortable.

"Calm down, Asmau. Your kids will be just fine," Hanan assured me.

"I'm just not used to leaving them alone, but you're right. I know Safeeya is a responsible older sister," I replied, managing a small smile.

"You truly deserve an award for being the best mom," Hanan teased, and we shared a laugh. We headed to the waiting car and off to the dinner venue.

**

As we arrived at the venue, it was a buzzing with people coming and going. The air was filled with music, and we could tell that the event was already in full swing as the MC energetically entertained the guests.

We finally found our seats. I noticed Mami in the distance, and I decided to go greet her and her circle of friends and relatives.

"This is my daughter-in-law, Abubakar's wife," Mami introduced me to her friends, a warm smile on her face.

"Wow, Ma shaa Allah, such a beautiful young lady, gaskia," one of the women complimented.

"Where are your kids?" another asked with a friendly smile.

"They are all at home," I replied modestly.

"Okay, Ma shaa Allah. Allah ya miki Albarka. Allah ya raya su," she prayed, and I responded with a heartfelt Ameen before returning to my seat. Abubakar was probably engrossed in conversation with his male cousins at the other tables.

Suddenly, I heard my name being called, and I turned to see a face I hadn't expected to encounter here.

"Hadiza Bashir!" I exclaimed, my hand covering my mouth in surprise.

Hadiza had been my close friend during secondary school, but we had lost touch over the years.

"Yes, Asmau Muhammad. I can't believe this," she said with a warm smile.

"I can't either. How have you been?" I asked, rising from my seat to embrace her.

"Good, Alhamdulillah. What are you doing here? Do you know the couple?" she inquired.