29-TWENTY NINE💙

ASMAU

"What's wrong with you, Asmau?" Ibty asked, sitting near me at our table.

"Ibty, it's nothing. Just go and continue dancing with your husband," I replied, not wanting to burden her with my problems on her special day.

"I'm tired of dancing; my legs hurt. Now, best friend, tell me what's wrong with you. Where's Abubakar? I thought you were supposed to come together?" She asked, a concerned look on her face.

"He's with Iman," I said, my voice heavy with disappointment.

"Iman? What did you just say?," she asked, clearly puzzled.

"I said, he's with Iman."

"What is he doing with Iman?" She looked at me, perplexed.

"I don't know, Ibty. I don't know what's going on. I asked him, but he hung up on me," I explained, frustration creeping into my voice.

"Hey, calm down, best friend. Maybe something happened, and he needed to be there," Ibty reassured me.

"But I wanted him to be here with me, and he just ran off to that woman," I sighed.

"I don't like to see you sad on my wedding day. You should be happy. Let's have fun and dance. The kids are there, dancing and having fun, so you should too," she insisted.

"I'm not in the mood to dance, Ibty," I admitted, my mood still sour.

"Alright, then let's just sit here," she said, settling back into her chair.

"Aren't you going to your groom?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Nah, let him have fun with his friends. I want to sit here with my best friend," she replied, taking my hands in hers.

"Ibty, I'll miss you so much," I said, pulling her into an embrace.

"I'll miss you more, I swear. Thank God we'll stay in Abuja for a week before moving to Katsina," she said, as we pulled apart.

"He's taking my best friend away from me, imagine," I teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"Don't worry, best friend," she reassured me.

"No, let me worry. We won't be seeing each other like before," I sighed.

"Don't worry, we'll be having FaceTime," she suggested.

"It won't be the same, but my advice to you is to be the good and respectful girl you've always been. I'm sure his family will love you because you are very loving, friendly, and caring. Ibteesam, you're starting a new life, a new family, and a new environment. We won't be there, Mama won't be there, and Adda won't be there either. But continue to be the good person that Mama raised you to be. I trust you, best friend, and I love you so much. Thanks for always being there for me," I said, trying to hold back my emotions.

"You're making me cry," Ibty said, fanning her eyes.

"Come on, Ibty, don't cry. Do you want Tijjani to deal with me?" I teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"He doesn't dare try touching Abubakar's queen. I love you, Ma'u," she said, pulling me into a hug.

"Love you too, my Ibtylo."

"Stop calling me that."

"No," I giggled.

"Mummy," Noorie called out, and I turned to see her returning to us, struggling with Afeen in her hold. I reached out, collecting him and placing him on my lap.

"Is he crying?" I asked, peering into my little boy's teary, innocent eyes. He's not usually the emotional one like Afeena, except when he's hungry, of course.