16-SIXTEEN🖤

Abubakar

"Baba, so you want to step down and let Iman take over the company?" I asked Iman's father, who is also the owner of the company we partner with.

"Yes, Abubakar. It's high time I retire and hand the company over to my daughter, Iman, because I trust her. I know she can handle the business very well. And what can I do? She's my only child, so sooner or later, she would have to take over, and the time is now. She will be coming back a day after tomorrow from the states, all the proceedings will be made, and she will formally be the new CEO of my company and also your new partner. So, from tomorrow, anything related to my company should be discussed with her," he stated firmly.

"Yes, Baba, I understand, but you know we have..." I tried to express my concerns, but he interrupted me.

"Yes, yes, Abubakar. I understand that the both of you aren't on good terms and have a past together, but this is business, Abubakar. You guys are good at what you do. Look at you, for example. Your Dad handed over the company to you because he believed in you, and he was right for doing so. You handle the company very well, and the company is growing each and every day. I too trust my daughter to do the same. Please, Abubakar, just agree," he pleaded.

"Okay, Baba. It's pure business, so there's nothing to worry about. Let's hope it's for the best," I prayed, trying to accept the situation.

"Ameen, ameen, my son. I knew I made the right decision to become partners with your company. I will take my leave now," he said.

"Okay, let me escort you," I offered.

"No, just continue your work. I know you have a lot of things to do," he said.

As he left, my mind started racing with thoughts about how I would tell Asmau that Iman is going to be my new partner, and I will have to be seeing her almost every day. The past between Iman and me was complicated, and I knew it wouldn't be easy to explain this to Asmau.

I sighed and continued my work, hoping that everything would work out for the best.

Asmau

I was in the room making a phone call with Abubakar when Saratu came in to inform me that I had a visitor downstairs. "Who is it?" I asked, after removing the phone from my ear.

"Well, Aunty, I don't know because I don't think she has ever visited this house before, but I think she's your sister because you kind of look alike," Saratu said.

"Okay, tell her I'm coming," I said and went back to my phone call with Abubakar.

"So, Habiby, I have to go now. But please don't stress yourself out too much with work, okay?" I said.

"Well, I won't, In shaa Allah. Right now, all I want to do is to come back home, kiss you, hug you, and tell you how much I love you, wifey," Abubakar replied lovingly.

"Awww, my baby, don't worry. A few hours left, and if you come back home, I'm gonna give you a massage, Habiby, and shower you with hugs and kisses," I teased.

"I trust you on that, now. So, don't keep your visitor waiting. Kisses to our dear twins and the kids. I love you," he said.

"Love you too, Habiby. Bye," I said and ended the call. I carried my veil and strolled downstairs just to see my sister.

"Ya salma," I whispered the moment I saw her.

"Ma'u," she hugged me tightly. "How are you?" she added after we broke out of the hug, a smile plastered on her face.

"I'm fine, Alhamdulillah. You?" I asked.

"I'm good," she replied.

There was a minute of silence before she started talking.