19-NINETEEN💜

ASMAU

"Mummy, why are you crying?" Noorie asked, her innocent eyes filled with concern as she sat down beside me on the bed.

I quickly wiped away the tears on my cheek, forcing a smile. "Baby, I'm not crying, something just entered my eyes."

"Are you sure? Because you've been quiet and sad since yesterday."

I took a deep breath, trying to hide my pain. "Noorie, it's nothing, darling. Don't worry. Have you eaten breakfast?" I asked, attempting to change the subject.

"No, we've been waiting for you," she replied.

"Oh no, let's go downstairs so you can eat," I said and together, we hopped off the bed and made our way downstairs.

"Have you talked with Daddy? When is he coming back?" She inquired as we descended the stairs.

"Daddy is coming back soon, In shaa Allah. Don't worry," I reassured her, although I also was finding it hard to assure myself.

How could I tell the poor girl that her daddy had come home yesterday, we'd had a serious fight, and then he left for only God knows where? I'd been trying to call him, but his phone was switched off. I hoped he was safe. This was all my fault. I just wished he would hear me out. I needed to find out who was behind this, and I was certain it was Iman.

"Mummy, why is your body so hot?" Feeyah asked, her brows furrowing in concern.

"Feeyah, it's nothing. My body is always warm," I lied, though my head had been pounding since yesterday, likely from all the crying.

"Mummy, I know you, fah. Please tell us what's wrong with you. Yesterday, we came home to find you crying. We don't like to see you worried. It's not good for your health and the twins," Feeyah stated, in concern.

"Kids, I'm serious, nothing is bothering me," I replied, managing a small smile.

"Okay, but if Daddy comes back home, I'm going to tell him that something is wrong with you, but you don't want to tell us,"

I was about to respond when Abubakar walked into the house. My heart fluttered, and I didn't realize when a smile graced my lips.

"Daddyyyyy!" the kids chorused, as they ran to hug him.

I stood up and walked over to join them, "Welcome," I said, relief evident in my voice.

"Thank you," he replied with no emotions on his face, as he headed upstairs.

Ouch..

I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I wouldn't give up, though. I followed him upstairs to our room, and hesitated at the door. Should I enter? What if he gets furious? I felt nervous and anxious. But, I took a deep breath, steadying myself before walking into the room after offering my salam.

Inside, I found him packing, and my heart skipped a beat. "Are you leaving?" I asked, anxiety gnawing at me. Had it come to this?

He looked up, his expression unreadable. "I am unpacking. Remember, I came back from a trip," he stated, and I heaved a relieved sigh.

"Can we talk?"

"No, I don't have time to hear your lies," he retorted.

My heart ached at his words. "Abubakar, why are you doing this to me? At least allow me to explain myself," I pleaded, my voice shaking.

"Explain what? You mean I should let you continue feeding me lies, right? Asmau, just leave. I don't want to hear anything from you," he replied, his tone cold and unyielding.