2-TWO💘

ASMAU

WEDDING FATIHA AND DINNER

The wedding fatiha is scheduled right after the Juma'at prayer. As the makeup artist worked on my face, some of the girls lounged on the bed, engaging in conversations and laughter. Meanwhile, I was grappling with nerves and anxiety. I had met Abubakar's sister, Maryam, at the Kamu ceremony the previous day, and she turned out to be very nice. She even showed me a photo of Abubakar's kids, who were undeniably adorable.

Earlier this morning, I had received a message from Ya Salma, extending her wishes for a happy married life. She was currently in Adamawa, staying with relatives from her mother's side. I understood her absence, it's not easy seeing the man you love getting married to someone else, and that someone else is no other than your blood sister.

"You look stunning, congratulations," the makeup artist's words interrupted my thoughts, and I managed a small smile in response.

A few moments later, I heard yodeling, and the sound of women and children chanting "an daura," meaning, that the knot had been tied.

My stomach churned, and anxiety passed through my body. I was now a married woman, stepping into a new part of life. I would no longer have the same freedom; i need to ask permission from my husband before going out, and my Aljannah lies under his feet.

The door to my room opened and my cousins, sisters, friends, children all came in singing different hausa traditional songs while clapping their hands. "Tazama!! tazama!! Tazama!! Tazama dauko hula!! Tazamaa!! Tazamaa dauko wando!!! Tazama!!! Tazamaa dauko riga!!! Tazamaa!!" They kept on singing meanwhile my water works began.

"Don't cry, Ma'u, please," Mimi comforted, embracing me tightly as I silently sobbed.

All the girls surrounded me and continued consoling me while whispering soothing words.

"I don't want this marriage anymore," I confessed, my voice shaky as I leaned against Mimi

"Bestfriend it's too late to back out" Ibty chuckled.

"Asmau hakuri zakiyi" One of my relatives Aysha said.

"Don't ruin your makeup please." Hajja said, earning an eye roll from me. Who cares about makeup in this situation?

People were coming in and congratulating me until Ya Aminah and two of my mother's sisters came in holding a Turaren wuta.

"Give us some space, girls," one of them announced, while the other let out exuberant yodeling, causing me to worry about her vocal cords.

I whispered to Ya Aminah, "I don't want this marriage anymore," my voice barely audible.

She smiled, gently wiping my tears away. "Little sister, don't let fear cloud your judgment. Everything will be alright. Now, let's touch up your makeup because your groom is waiting downstairs," she reassured me, motioning for the makeup artist to attend to me.

In no time, the makeup artist had refreshed my makeup. With the help of Ya Hadeeza and Ya Aminah, I draped the purple Laffaya over me, veiling my face.

"Let's go," Ya Aminah's voice was reassuring as they formed a protective circle around me.

As we descended the stairs carefully and gently, the melody of the song "Aure" by Namenj filled the air. The room kept hush as we made our entrance, the music and laughter fading into the background.

"Ango your bride is here" I heard Mimi say as i shut my eyes and whispered some du'a under my breath nervously.

My heart pounded like a drum as my veil was lifted. Amidst the silence, a soft whisper broke through, "Tabarakallah Ma shaa Allah," But it was his voice, deep and husky, that gripped my attention.