3-THREE💚

Asmau

"Ring—ring—ring—ring—ring." The sound of my ringtone interrupted my sleep. With my eyes still closed, I reached out for my phone placed under my pillow.

"Hello," I said in my sleepy voice.

"Aunty Asmau, don't tell me you're still sleeping?" Mima asked, making me check the time. I gasped and immediately sat up when I saw it was 9:30 am.

What the hell is wrong with my alarm?

"This isn't Babaji's house anymore, Asmau. You should get up and make breakfast," Ya Aminah said after I returned to the call.

"Wallahi, I don't know what the hell went wrong with my phone alarm. I set it to wake me up at 8 sharp, but now it's 9:30 am. I was enjoying the sleep too much," I sighed.

"Well, you better go take your bath and start preparing breakfast," she said and hung up.

I dropped my phone, hopped out of the amazingly comfortable bed I'd slept in like a baby, and changed into my towel before heading to the bathroom for a shower and my morning routine.

A few minutes later, I emerged, transformed into my Ankara gown. I applied a little kohl and lip gloss before making my way downstairs to the kitchen.

Upon entering the kitchen, I found a girl about 18 or 19 years old cleaning. I greeted her and learned she was Saratu, the housemaid. She hadn't been able to meet me the previous night due to the fact that she went to bed early.

"So, did you make breakfast?" I asked.

"I didn't cook anything because breakfast will be brought from the family house," she replied. Just then, the doorbell rang.

"I will go get it," she said but I stopped her, insisting that she continue working while I went to answer the door.

I unlocked the door and was met by two fair-skinned ladies, one of whom I recognized as Abubakar's younger sister, Maryam.

"The bride herself!" Maryam exclaimed with a bright smile. "Good morning, Ya Asmau," she added.

"Good morning. Come in," I replied, stepping aside to allow them to enter.

"Matan yaya," Maryam greeted me, engulfing me in a hug, which took me by surprise.

"Yes," I giggled nervously as we pulled out of the hug.

As they took the warmers of food they'd brought to the dining area, Maryam introduced me to the other girl, Layla, who hadn't said a word and had been frowning since their arrival.

"Ma sha Allah. Nice to meet you," I smiled warmly at her.

Layla gave a fake, tight-lipped smile. "Nice to meet you too."

Had I done something to upset her?

Maryam then inquired about the kids, and I informed her that they were still sleeping. Layla asked about Abubakar, to which I replied that he was also sleeping.

"Okay, we will get going now," Maryam said, but Layla was visibly irritated.

"Why would we leave now? We haven't even seen Ya Abubakar," she said, her voice tinged with anger.