46-FORTY SIX💜

ASMAU

"Ya Allah!" I groaned, feeling the frustration building up inside of me. "Fahad, this is all your fault," I added, hissing with annoyance.

Fahad glanced at me, bewildered. "How is it my fault, Asmau?" he asked, his hand honking at the car in front of us as we sat in the midst of heavy traffic, moving at a painfully slow pace.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "Remember when I asked you to get ready and take me to the office earlier? You refused, saying it was too early. And now, here we are, stuck in this terrible traffic."

Fahad chuckled. "Well, Asmau, there's no use fretting now. When we get to the office, you can explain what happened to them. I'm sure they'll understand."

I shook my head, "The thing is, Fahad, we have an important meeting with a client today, and I can't afford to be late. I only have ten minutes left, and I'm almost certain I'm going to be late. Plus, the cars ahead aren't moving at all. What a day."

Fahad offered a reassuring smile. "Just keep on praying. We'll reach before the meeting starts, In shaa Allah."

I let out another sigh, trying to calm my nerves. "I hope so, Fahad."

*

"Bye," I said, stepping out of the car once we finally arrived outside the office.

"Okay, Asmau. I'll pick you up later. Good luck with your meeting," Fahad replied.

"Thank you, Fahad," I said before closing the car door and making my way into the building.

I hurriedly rushed to my office, grabbing some important documents before heading to the meeting room. Along the way, I exchanged pleasantries with several coworkers. Upon reaching the meeting room, I knocked lightly before stepping inside. The meeting was already in progress.

"Good morning," I greeted quietly as I took my seat.

"Morning, Asmau. You're late. What happened?" our boss inquired.

"Sir, I apologize. The traffic was really bad today. It won't happen again," I replied, trying to sound as composed as possible.

"It better not," My heart skipped a beat upon hearing another voice. I turned my head to locate its source, and there he was, sitting at the end of the table near the CEO and some of the top executives.

It was Abubakar.

I was shocked, though not entirely surprised, considering I had bumped into him yesterday. Still, the question nagged at me: Was he following me, or was this merely a coincidence?

The tension in the room was thick as I settled into my seat. He couldn't hide a smirk as he observed the surprised look on my face. I had wished I could roll my eyes but I knew better than to risk my job at this moment.

"Asmau," the VP called, breaking my thoughts.

I turned to her, my heart racing. "Yes?"

"This is Mr. Abubakar, the CEO of S. Sal," she introduced.

"And sir, this is Asmau Mohammed, our accountant," the President added.

"It's nice to meet you," he spoke, calmly and confidently. I felt the weight of his intense gaze on me, which sent a nervous shiver down my spine.

"Thank you," I muttered, trying to keep my composure, my eyes fixed on the files spread out before me.

"Asmau has been with us for only a few months, but she has made huge contributions to this company. She played a pivotal role in our last project's success, providing ideas and preparing the project plan. We can't thank her enough; she's an invaluable asset to the team," the President praised.